Big mess in device manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Vista Home Premium - No service pack - this is 'part 2' of a thread I had going earlier about a download problem that is now fixed. The thread is here. The screen shot attached to the first post is what I'm dealing with now; you can see it below also. I managed to get the wifi installed (it wasn't working at first) but I can't seem to get any of the other items in the Network Adapters section installed, including the ethernet driver. Vista keeps disabling it, and when I enable it, it gets branded with a yellow exclamation point for a little while, then gets disabled again. I have tried 3 or 4 different drivers for it.... ARRRGGGHHH!!!!
    Any help will be appreciated....

[​IMG]

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A little progress..... I seem to have the Broadcom ethernet adapter installed and functional now.... finally.... and from what I can tell, all the other yellow marks aren't effecting anything (that I can see anyway), but for the sake of being thorough, I'd really like to clean up the device manager and get rid of those marks.... any ideas? anyone?
    :cry

3. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

do you have the right drivers installed? what kind of system do you have?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm not the owner of this laptop and it's an Acer Aspire 4720Z. The network drivers for both the wifi and wired ethernet are installed and functional. When I first rec'd the laptop, none of the network drivers including the wigfi and ethernet were installed correctly, they didn't work, and once I got the wifi working, the downloads would disappear when they finished (you can the thread at this link). I have repaired the internet connectivity -both the wifi and ethernet work- and the downloads aren't disappearing any more, but the device manager is still a big ol' mess.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, looking at the screenshot, the lower 6 are all standard Windows devices/Protocols. Have you tried uninstalling them and rebooting?

In the Network control panel, are there devices which correspond to these entries? If so, try deleting them.

All you need to access the 'net is TCP/IP(IPv4) on your current adapters.

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, several times. Vista (unlike XP) doesn't really allow these things to be uninstalled. I right click, select 'Uninstall', and the item either disappears for maybe 5 seconds then comes right back, or just stays there like nothing was done.
    Nope. Not that I could see.
    Thanks... it does help a bit. I always wondered about these things, esp the Teredo Tunneling.

The PC connects to the internet and surfs OK, the downloads work normally, and all network/internet stuff seems to be OK and stable, so the yellow ! marks in the device manager seem to have no effect on things, at least for now. I'll mess with it a bit more to try to clean the marks out, but if it becomes too much of a nightmare (I think it's too late for that anyway LOL ) I may just ignore the yellow ! marks until they cause a problem.

Thanks to all who helped!

[dlb]
    :-D

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Remove the protocols from the properties of each networking adapter, perhaps the entries will then disappear from DM.

TCP/IP and (sometimes) the firewall driver is all I use on my own PC's (no LAN networking/printer sharing here).

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds