Big problem updating to SP2

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjmeyer05, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mjmeyer05

mjmeyer05 Private E-2

Ok, so after spending countless hours removing all the malware from this machine so that I could update it, I ran update last night to get SP2, it installed SP2 and this morning I rebooted to complete the install. Now the system continually loops through the startup screens. I get the initial "HP invent v.3.10" start screen followed by a screen where I can choose between starting XP home, or windows recovery console, followed by the windows startup screen, but then the system clicks and loops back to the HP invent startup screen.

I'm assuming the update to SP2 hosed something up, or maybe the BIOS isn't up to date? I'm not sure, I ran update through the HP website, and did all the checks to make sure it was ready to be updated. I'm not sure what went wrong, or even how to tell what exactly is causing the problem.

I would start over with a fresh install, but of course the owner of the PC doesn't have any of the original setup disks, so what's going to be the next logical step to take here?

2. mjmeyer05

mjmeyer05 Private E-2

I just answered part of my question, I disabled the automatic reboot on error option, and the error message is...

STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component}
    This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

According to Microsoft, it may have something to do with either an update that didn't get installed, or because of a program called T.V. media that may be installed. I'm going to try to undo the upgrade with security console, and see what's going on, unless someone has a better idea.

3. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

One option would be to buy recovery disks from HP. I have done that and it was relatively inexpensive ($20) and a good solution. You don't say what model of computer you have but I assume it came with XP installed. If it originally came with something else installed, this is not an option.

HP does not have recovery disks for every model, but go to this site and find parts for your model.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/partsdirectory/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds