BigFix software came with new computer. Do I need it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColonelAngus, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Hello.

Do I really need this security software on the new computer we got for my brother? Windows came pre-installed - I HATE that - with software and BigFix was one of them. Mcafee came with it too but I already tossed that resourse hog.

On my computer I use all the freeware suggested by majorgeeks to protect my computer and I've never had a problem.

Should I remove BigFix or use it in conjunction with all the majorgeeks suggested security I'm going to install? Is it a useless, bloated program?

Here's a list of what I'm going to download and install from majorgeeks:

AVG Antivirus
    Zone Alarm Firewall
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Ad-Aware SE
    CCleaner

And I have a copy of SystemSuite 4.0 that's good for registry cleaning and such.

Thanks in advance.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Frankly, I'd delete it ...find it to be a nuisance ...spent more time doing "fixes" than anything else ...big question as to whether they were really neccesary.
    You seem to have everything to be safe and clean ...:)

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

From the list that you have, I'd suggest removing BigFix. I have used it once, then immediatly removed it. Just my humble opinion. :)

Which appears to be the same humble? opinion of TimW.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Aye, maity, humble be I, as humble be thee. (hehe).:)

5. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Consider it gone. I didn't think I needed it but I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Bigfix is great utility for someone who isnt so computer literate.

It will alert you to updates for Windows, anti virus, spyware utilities, nero, etc. prety much anything that get updates.

It will also identify Software/Hardware conflicts & offer fixes

The utility can be set to run all time in background or on demand, if set to on demand it will hog no resourses.

Oh by the way, Bigfix is avaible here at MG
    http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=677

IMO, If your having to set up this PC for your brother you probably should let him keep BigFix, No Matter if he has problem, he's got you :) & us here at MG

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I guess the Old MOBO & CPU was Left for Dead?
    R.I.P.

8. leopold99

leopold99 Private First Class

i also had bigfix on my machine and i never used it, so i uninstalled it and never looked back. never missed it either.

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Ditto - BF on my laptop...never used it.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That is a good option/advice. It is a handy app when learning. :)

Steve

11. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

BigFix would be too much for my brother to handle. He's not that computer literate to know how to use it properly and he wouldn't want to learn. I installed the freeware I listed before and am just going to show him how to update each program all the time. He probably won't scan that often. He never did on his last 2 computers.

Yep. I still have it. I'm not going to ditch it just yet. When I have some extra money I might get it fixed or buy new parts and make it live again. It will be my Frankenputer project.:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds