BIOS and re-instalation of windows xp problems.

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottyboy34, Jan 26, 2007.

1. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site as i just registered today. I'm in need of a lot of help with my PC, i purchased this computer from Tiny about 5 years ago and all i used it for was surfing the net and storing pictures and stuff. I don't know a lot about computers and tried to repair it myself ( i know! it was a bad choice to make).
    The computer was full of viruses and a friend advised me to wipe the hard drive and re install windows xp, which i did ( well i tried, lol ). i got the windows cd in and it went to work, it wiped everything and started to install, but it kept prompting me that certain files wouldnt upload ( a lot were help files and info files ), it got to the stage were it was initilizing setup and it prompted me that a file which had something to do with service pack 2 wouldnt upload and another that had something to do with system 32 wouldnt upload either.
    The PC then rebooted and got to the stage where the screen says windows XP and a little loading bar underneath, then it frooze and wouldnt go no further.
    So, i thought it was maybe cus i had the BIOS set to boot from cd-rom, so i went back in to them and changed to the hard drive, still the same problem though. Then the idiot sitting here typing this message rolleyes decided to mess about with some of the settings in the BIOS and completly Knackered the computer.
    I should probably just go out and by a new one but i refuse to spend the money. A Friend suggested something to do with Flash BIOS which would reset them ( but don't know what the hell he's talking about).

Any help u guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

some of the details on the computer are :-

Purchased from Tiny
    Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4
    BIOS No - HV84510A.86A.0024.D
    Operating System - Windows XP ( at least it was )

My email address is scotty_boy34@hotmail.com

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Did you install Windows from within Windows or did you boot to the CD? Did you delete the partition and format or just overwrite the existing Windows?

I would say try it again by booting to the CD, and do a fresh install. Unplug any periphs as well. Delete the partition and format in NTFS in the unpartitioned space. If you still get missing file errors, etc, my first thought would be memory. Try running a mem test if you can.

3. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

I installed windows within windows ( i think i was in safe mood though, cant really remember), i didn't delete any partitions but when the install was finnished it didnt give me a partition. I just overwrited the excisting windows.
    Can't get into windows now and it wont let me boot straight from the cd.
    Not sure what u mean by periphs and NTFS.

Thank you for replying,
    Scott

4. Valhallis

The problem with installing over existing Windows is that you have too many leftover files mixed in with new files and its just a giant mess. Best to start from a clean slate.

First thing, change boot sequence in BIOS to have the CD first. Then you can boot to the CD when it prompts you. When you tell it to do a fresh install it will ask what to do with th existing partitions (division of the hard drive). Follow the steps to delete the C: partition (this will delete ALL data on the drive). It will say unpartitioned space, then you can hit enter and chose NTFS. You should be good to go from there.

www.windowsreinstall.com has guides on how to reinstall Windows.

5. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

Thanks Valhalis,
    I will give it a go, and will let you know how i get on.

cheers,
    Scott

6. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

I managed to get the pc booting from the cd-rom and it started to setup windows.
    i am now getting prompted with the following message:-

File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. the error code is 7. setup can not continue, press any key to exit.

7. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

Isn't it likely to be the CD drive failing to read the XP disc properly when that happens ?

8. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

Would it be worth while buying a new windows xp disc?

9. Valhallis

In my experience if its doing that i could be a few things. Most often its bad RAM or as 12quidkidinnit says, a bum CD drive. If you have another drive to try it in, do that first. Second, if you can download from another PC a memory tester like mem386 and put it onto CD or floppy, do a memory scan.

It could be the CD too. Just check it to make sure there aren't any scratches or marks on it.

10. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

hehehehe he's got a mess on his hands....
    I opt for a bad CD....
    Also he tried to install XP SP1 over an existing XP SP2...
    BIOS has a reset to default in it...
    When it boots make sure the RAM reported on boot up and in BIOS matches what you have in the system, that will take care of the memory part.
    CD drive lens could be dirty, run a CD lens cleaner through it, and retry,
    I am guessing that this is a real copy of Windows you are installing not a downloaded burned one, could make a lot of difference there!
    I hate to even suggest this one but look closely at your CD for finger prints, old beer stains, whatever, if you have to clean it, (man I will hear about this one) use a very small amount of windex on a very soft lint free cloth, just wipe it don't try to polish it.
    If you have access to another computer I would put the disk in and let it autoplay while in windows, if the screen pops up from it then I would go to Browse the CD and look into each folder just to make sure the disk is OK, if it will go and read into each folder then the disk is good.
    Personally in my exprience I have never seen memory cause a problem like this, so I can't cooment on that.
    As far as your flashing the BIOS, I would think that would be a rather drastic step as long as you can go into BIOS and change the settings then it should be OK and seeing how your BIOS is newer then the OS your trying to install, I don't see that as a problem either, and unless your BIOS is socketed you are taking a risk of destroying a computer with an unsuccessful flash. I rather think your problems are either a dirty Drive, dirty disk, or a copy of Windows burned to a disk, I also think that you are try to install SP1 over an exsiting SP2. You might be better off doing a fresh install after reformating your drive.

11. scottyboy34

scottyboy34 Private E-2

Hi folks,
    I have successfully installed my windows and the computer is running spot on.
    It turned out to be a dodgy cd drive which i got replaced and the os installed with no problems at all.
    I would like to thank you all for your advice, it was much apreciated. you never know i might be able to give you some advice someday. ( biggest bit of advice i can give you just now is - if i ever give you advice don't take it cus i know jack sh*t about computers, lol).
    Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds