BIOS Booting Issues With Modfied BIOS Saved Profile Now, Need To Stop Booting Issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montecarlo1987, May 11, 2011.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I have an issue that I need some advice on.
    For the last few mornings when I turn on my computer after 6-8 plus hours of not using it, I get this message while the BIOS is booting but before Windows starts:

Overclocking Failed! Please enter setup to re-configured your system.
    Press F1 to Run Setup.
    Press F2 to load default values and continue.

Now I know how to simply fix this issue by resetting the BIOS and/or if necessary, temporary removing and replacing the jumper pin on the motherboard and/or if *really* necessary, temporary removal and replacement of the CMOS battery. For me, it works by simply resetting the BIOS.

To let you know since this has been happening, I have increased my RAM to 8GB. I had to make some changes to my BIOS like slight voltages increases in DRAM and the motherboard's northbridge and the memory module timings modified. I saved these BIOS changes (as a BIOS profile) to stabilize my 8GB of RAM which seems to work great -- stability issues solved. However, now I have this issue here...

What actually happens is that one the *very first* BIOS booting when powering up my computer, the BIOS does not boot and without the beep from the motherboard's POST BIOS test. My monitor is black while, yet the tower LED shows it is running. I can hear the fan in the tower running fine. I have to manually restart the computer from the reset button and then on the second BIOS boot, the BIOS loads fine, followed by this "Overclocking Failed!" issue just before Windows can load. After another computer reboot and my resetting of the BIOS, followed by yet another computer reboot, the BIOS and Windows operating system loads fine and I am on my way.

Now *this is a pain in the butt* each morning after the system has been off for awhile or when my computer has not been running for 6-8 hours!!! The computer SHOULD NOT have to go through this!!! This whole sequence of events (4 computer boots) in the last paragraph does not happen if the time duration since my computer was not running is short since I last used my computer -- the computer boots and runs completely fine.

Any ideas so I can keep the modified BIOS profile so my computer runs stable and not have this whole sequence of events happen -- so BIOS can load without any issues???

Please reply.

Thanks you!

Some basic general stats of my system:
    - Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 -- Yorkfield 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz processor.
    - ASUS P5Q desktop motherboard.
    - 8 GB of Corsair XMS2 4x2 GB DDR2 RAM.
    - XFX Radeon HD5670 Graphics Card.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: BIOS Booting Issues With Modfied BIOS Saved Profile Now, Need To Stop Booting Iss

Replace the CMOS battery and the messages to run setup will disappear from startup OR keep the computer plugged in and do not turn it off if using a power strip. The current will flow so the CMOS battery is not used to keep the settings, the electric will do that.

3. montecarlo1987

Re: BIOS Booting Issues With Modfied BIOS Saved Profile Now, Need To Stop Booting Iss

@ plodr:

Hello. Thank you my friend! I pulled the battery and tested it. The coin CMOS battery registered between "replace" and "good" -- that probably explains why the loss in BIOS profile settings after long periods of time. However, the truth is, I did have the computer connected to the power plug right along; so somehow the motherboard's BIOS *must still* use the power resources from the battery regardless if the power supply is plugged in or not. I replaced the battery. I will see in the next couple of mornings if this issue now goes away. Regardless, the battery needed replacement.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. montecarlo1987

@plodr:

Hello again. Just to let you know it WAS the CMOS battery. It was starting to weaken after some random testing -- not having the computer run for awhile and the BIOS loads up fine now with the new battery.

Thanks! ;)

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Glad it is working fine for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds