BIOS chip flash tool

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Aug 11, 2013.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I noticed a post in the Malware Forum about a possible BIOS virus. So, I thought I'd post one of the weapons in my arsenal. This is a simple piece of equipment, which connects via a COM port, and a serial cable. It is your basic EEPROM socket, and can be used to flash a chip while removed from the motherboard, provided of course that your EEPROM is removable.

I had this before TOPWIN came on the market with their tester/programmer but it suffices. It's pretty basic, and works...

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Years ago, we used to use similar devices all the time as standard procedure for updating the BIOS. But one problem there is many newer motherboards don't have serial ports anymore, and/or as you noted, the device may be, and likely is surface mounted (not in a socket).

Fortunately, BIOS viruses are very rare, extremely difficult to "catch", and most motherboard/BIOS makers have provided easy ways to flash, update, and backup the BIOS.

Then of course, UEFI is replacing standard BIOS - a very good thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds