BIOS Chip Replacement.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toke, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I am about to undertake a Bios Chip replacement and need a couple of tips. Do I remove Battery and leave out before I insert the replacement ?? and any other tips would not go amiss. I have ordered from a reputable company an exact model replacement. Reason is its an old board and probably a flash will not now be available, am trying to fix problem why the mobo will not recognise my WD Portable USB. I have posted about this issue and there seems to be no fixes. All other USB Externals are recognised and the Portable is recognised in all other computers/Desktops and Laptops. :major

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is a great site for all things BIOS related http://www.wimsbios.com/
    Someone in the forum might be able to answer your BIOS chip replacement if no one here answers.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I dont think it matters
    Hot flashes are done on live mobo... (swapping good chip for bad chip, on running/booted mobo, then live flashing bios then swapping back )

I would remove the battery and discharge the MOBO (unplug PSU remove battery press power button hold for few seconds then install the new chip)

I really doubt a new bios chip will fix a USB problem maybe you have a burned out USB header or just a bad cable

Good Luck....

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Thankyou for the replies. ASUS I could bore you to death of what I have tried to get mobo to recognise Cables from 6 inches long to 6 feet long and in between, All ports,Multi adapters, changing voltage,registry cleaners etc. the list is endless over the months. It did work and one stage and if my memory serves me correctly I did flash this Bios quite a while ago but am not 100% sure thats when it started. Recently bought another identical Mobo and had instant recognitions as it does on ALL other mobos. Other external USB's HD's work NP. So having tried all other fixes this is my last and final attempt and finding a solution to the problem, the chip is quite inexspensive. I suppose at the end of the day I could swap Mobo's from my secondary Rig to this one and solve it that way but thats giving in and cheating.

AUS A8N SLI PREMIUM V1.2
    5 X SATA HD
    2 GIG CORSAIR
    WIN7 ULTRA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds