BIOS Doesn't Detect CD/DVD Drive? but HDD SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pajajn289, Dec 22, 2010.

1. pajajn289

pajajn289 Private E-2

Hello there:confused

so my computer doesnt detect my CD/DVD-Drive but the Harddrive SATA is detected

In boot drop menu there is
    1st: floppy
    2st: HDD40W SATA ... something with the name of hdd

There is a windows installed onto it but we cannot activate it without internet registration..

And now also im getting error when trying to continue to login screen where the activation is

"missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. and re-install it"

But i cannot boot anything so and it doesnt even find any "removable media"
    in drop boot-menu

Any advices? :cry

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, pajajn289.

We need more information:

What is the make and model # of your machine, and the operating system version and Service Pack #?

Also, please download and run Free PC Audit, a stand-alone system information tool.

(If you get a Security Warning, don't worry about it - uncheck the 'Always ask before opening this file' box, and click 'Run').

When the scan completes, click File > Save As, name the file 'Report', and save to an easily found location, such as your Desktop.

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

Did the CD/DVD issue always exist, or did this just happen? If this is a new install, did the optical drive come with any installation disks?

Concerning the "hal.dll" message, check this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restorehaldll.htm.

3. pajajn289

pajajn289 Private E-2

Well we think we have a solution cause we was home at my friend and got a ide harddrive and now the computer finds

Both SATA + IDE but still no CD/DVD drive but you could open them both and put a CD in them but they wont appear in BOOT DROP menu

But atm we have one cable from the motherboard to the IDE
    and 2 ata cables from the motherboard to the SATA HDD

But there is no room for the CD/DVD gray cable?

Hm we can't get into windows so i can't make the RunTool suggestion you posted :confused

4. pajajn289

pajajn289 Private E-2

Hello again , im first gonna apologize for double post but we made a further step. I just saw that we made a big mistake by not giving the cd drive to motherboard^^ instead we tried getting CD->HDD->motherboard
    :)

Now im trying to reformat the IDE harddrive with my XP cd and tried 2 times already, this is what i get up when xp screen comes

Harddrive 0 at id 1 for buss 0 on atapi [MBR]
    unpartioned space 8 MB
    E: Partition2 (unknown) 20348MB Free
    C: Partition1 <Data> NTFS 27918 MB

Harddrive 0 at id 0 for buss 0 on atapi [MBR]
    D: Partition1 (unknown) 38154 MB Free

I think i finally after 2 days work with this shit got it working as it schould again:p good time right before christmas to him aswell ^^
    Well thank you all that read and tried to help hm now it were no one more than the advisor but anyway :wave

il reply if i get any more error messsages , Merry christmas all on Majorgeeks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds