Bios doesn't recognize chassis fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duckfeet, Oct 3, 2008.

1. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

Got a new ASUS mobo I put together, and I had speedfan, and later tried pcprobe, and I prefer speedfan, but wondered why I can't get bios to recognize chassis fans? I've been in hardware and changed it every way I can think of, and someone on here has always had the answer I was looking for...and Everest doesn't see temp either....

What am I missing? Both chassis fans are plugged into mobo, have ASUS p5gc, and thermaltake on cpu: this fan *is* recognized(not on everest, just in bios, speedfan and pc probe), but I'm always running 50C - 68C, which is hotter than I like...

Help is appreciated, meanwhile, I'll keep searching...

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Duckfeet

On Everest not recognising your CPU HSF, then its possible if your using the older now unsupported/developed free version that it does not know your motherboards temp sensor chip or hardware location.

The chassis fans ~ how many wires are they, some 2 wire ones dont seem to register in the bios at times, if 2 wire and the mobo has 3 pins for fans try moving the connector along to cover different pins, I found on one mobo that the pins to the fan where not in correct alignment with mobo pins, so a bit of giggery pokery was needed.

The temps what is app is giving you this reading? as if BIOS it can be out, so check for updated BIOS and only install a new BIOS if its update is to cure the issue of miss reading temp sensor data.

Just some thoughts....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds