BIOS Error:"new cpu installed"!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buffer1984, Aug 27, 2014.

1. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Single Language (build 9600)
    Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
    System Locale: English (India)
    Installed: 05-04-2014 10:54:48
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

Processor a
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41T-M LX Rev X.0x
    Serial Number: MT7016031806151
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0803 05/16/2011

Drives
    125.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    91.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS DRW-1814BL ATA Device [Optical drive]

ST3250312AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9VYCKMMV, rev JC4B, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
    2014 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM A1' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM B1' has 2048 MB

Local Drive Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 125.02 GB 91.95 GB free

Network Drives
    None discovered
    -------------------
    Receiving following (please see attachment) when starting pc after plugging out. Booting normal after restarting in plugged in state.
    Clock is reset and unable to show current date and time.
    Loaded Default settings in BIOS - unsuccessful.
    Have changed battery and sent Board for repairs. @ repair the BIOS was reinstalled but the problem is still there.

Used to receive message "loading ASUS Express Gate...." before BIOS Logo screen. Message does not appear since problem.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Did you add a new CPU?

Ah now if you sent for repair then the company did not repair it if it came back the same. Hope you did not pay for repair, if you did what was the expanation from the company as to why the error was still there?

Express gate can be disabled in the BIOS, I do this as PITA is that message.

If changed CPU then your BIOS could be out of date and need to check with ASUS the compatibility of CPUs and what BIOS they may need as yours is out of date... current is P5G41T-M LX BIOS 1101 you have 0803

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

DavidGP is right on, and I will add that you really want to add another stick of RAM identical to the one you have.
    Asus lists:
    Intel® Socket 775 Core™2 Quad/Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Duo/Pentium® dual-core/Celeron® dual-core /Celeron® Processors Compatible with Intel® 05B/05A/06 processors
    Support Intel® 45nm Multi-Core CPU as compatible.
    Looks like your CPU is supported and when you update the BIOS and add RAM things should run pretty well.

4. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Hi,

Thank you DavidGP and DOA for replying. I'm humbled by the help received.

Having used the computer with the message by manually entering the time and date settings in BIOS, the reason to post here again, is for a normal boot process when powering up.

@DavidGP: No, i have not installed a New CPU. The same CPU had been installed on the board when bought and has been running this way until now. You may say they came together! The problem appeared suddenly without any hardware changes made.
    After going for repairs, the service person returned the board by remarking that the complaint was unable to be rectified and the money was returned.

@DOA: You suggest updating the BIOS? Please could you confirm this and direct me on the correct method of updating. I will take your suggestion of adding a RAM stick as well.

Thank you again for the valuable help.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Poke around at
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41TM/HelpDesk_Download/
    The left tab, Drivers and Tools will have your BIOS. Updating the BIOS is a serious thing but not that difficult if you take the time to learn how. Asus has good instructions.

Is there a chance the button battery that backs up the CMOS settings is adrift or lost its charge? Its location is in your manual. If the battery goes bad the BIOS (CMOS) forgets its settings every boot.

6. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

Flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Still the problem persists.

CMOS battery has been changed several times. Not to any result.

Is it a hardware issue? Can it be rectified at a manual level? Does it need to be replaced?

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I am sorry, at this point my expertise is not laser accurate.
    things I have had work for no good reason
    1) over clock the bus by one forcing the CMOS into a write, put back to stock if this works
    2) remove CPU, boot without a CPU, clean and inspect carefully, replace CPU
    3) swap the CPU, sometimes you can swap back, sometimes not
    If your components are on a guarantee I suggest some phone calls to the vendors.

8. buffer1984

buffer1984 Private E-2

DOA,

pls would you show the correct way to overclock the bus by one? Sorry for i'm a total newbie and have never before tweaked the motherboard settings as such.

Also by your point no. 3 to swap the CPU, would i need a spare CPU? Would i require a new CPU? Would installing a new CPU solve the problem?

Thank you for your help.

9. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I would not buy a new CPU just for this problem yet. Currently you don't know if the CPU is sending the wrong message or if the motherboard does not know what to do with the message. But if you can test another CPU for free either from a spare or a friend I would do that.
    OC the bus is done in the BIOS and if you have not poked around in there before now is probably not the time to learn. Asus BIOS can be tricky in that you need to change more than one place in the BIOS. If you feel adventurous try the smallest OC you can, run for a little bit and go back to stock. Remember this is just a test, probably not a solution. This Video may help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vR8fjB3kW8

When you right click on "Computer" and select "Properties" what does it say on the line that has "Processor:"?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds