BIOS FAIL dv6-2020ev:black screen after Bios update

Discussion in 'Software' started by mastour, Dec 6, 2010.

1. mastour

mastour Private E-2

I have a HP pavilion dv6-2020EV Note book.
    I downloaded an update for Bios "sp50586.exe" from Hp site an extract it. after that a program (Insyde Flash V 3.80.00) Loaded and I pushed start button.
    after some time I made mistake an pushed my notebook Power Button. The note book became shutdown and now I see only Black screen.

I performed some actions with HP online guide like pushing Power button for above 1 minute, removing Coin battery, Connecting notebook to another monitor and even removing Hard Disk. I get no reply from machine.

Now the power LED is on, and I can hear sound of DVD Rom when I put a Disc in it. But I can see only Black screen.
    also I tried to load Recovery disc of the note book but it could not be loaded.

Would you please Help me. I have no solution. I lost my notebook.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How did HP end the service call-did they offer any further solutions?

Can you direct me to the support page for your model? I can only find it at HP India using Google cache--the actual website seems to be offline. [I want to double check that they were recommending the sp50586 for that model.]

Also, is there a longer model number on the tag on the bottom of the laptop? It might be useful for finding others who have experienced the problem. [There appears to be a BIOS recovery flash option that might work but it is important to have the right version of the BIOS to attempt it.] Since that update is so new there are not many people experiencing the same problems. Your laptop has an Intel processor?

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. sach2

Thanks tgell! :)

I could not get to that page for the life of me. Every google link I got took me to an HP page saying the page I was looking for was unavailable.

5. sach2

I am having trouble figuring out what to rename the BIOS file. I have read so many posts that I can't get clear on it.

I'm going from something like post #3 in this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-compaq/304332-cq45-insyde-bios-recovery-using-usb-thumbdrive.html
    At least we know there should be some form of recovery possible using the <windows key> and <b key>.

Your BIOS update has two files in it and shortening them to four letters is simple but using a tool provided by one of those BIOS forums it gives five possible names for each of the two BIOS files included in the softpaq. The five names are the same for each of the two files which is what has me confused. HP doesn't give the manufacturer's name for your motherboard which makes it more difficult. I'm going to start fresh tomorrow hoping my subconscious works on it.

6. sach2

This is another thread (particularly post #6) that is relevant and also confusing. The file names are actually pertinent to your SoftPaq.

In your case you have a DV6 model so You are platform 4 or 6. Which looks like 363E and 3659. I just haven't found any threads where someone named the files this.

The question is do your BIOS files get renamed
    I am leaning towards 363C.bin because you have the GT 230m graphics but I am looking for a thread where someone has tried or needed to try 363E.bin to see what happened.

7. mastour

mastour Private E-2

Dear Sach2
    Is it useful if I find a notebook with the same product number?

can I copy bios from the same type laptop?
    if yes please help me.

8. sach2

If you start a notebook with the same model number and go into BIOS it should give a four letter name and version number. Writing down that name/version number might be helpful. (I think entering BIOS Setup on an HP is pressing F10 during the HP logo although on some models <Esc key> during HP logo might be used.)

I don't think it is necessary to try to copy the BIOS. Your problem originated from a bad flash. The Bios files are available on the internet it is simply a matter of getting them recognized and accepted by the computer. [I believe I am over-thinking this renaming, but I want to be sure before advising you.)

9. sach2

I think I have the files named correctly. I uploaded two folders to mediafire. Unzip the file and you will find two folders inside: [Try First and Try Second].

You will need to copy the two files (363C.bin and 363E.bin) from the Try First folder to a FAT formatted USB flash/thumb drive (most USB drives will be formatted in FAT unless you have changed the default). The files must be in the root of the USB drive (not in any folder). Then:

Try following the instructions and take note of how many beeps you hear. If you get no beeps at all then the laptop is not trying to read the thumb drive and we will have to address that.

If you hear beeping then give it 5-10 minutes to complete. If the notebook does not shut it self down it should be safe to shut it down after 10 minutes and see if any change in powering on normally.

The files in the Try Second folder should not be necessary but I just included them in case of eventually needing to try them.

Any questions feel free to ask!

10. mastour

mastour Private E-2

Dear Sach2,

I see that you are not sure.

Are you sure "try first" files is safe for the notebook?
    if not, would you please show me more reliable method.

my friend went into the bios of his notebook but he couldn't find the name of bios. he told me the version of Bios is F.04 and the Vendor is Insyde.

Bests.

11. sach2

The Try First and Try Second files are just the BIOS files from HP's 50586.exe extracted so they can be manually installed without Windows running. But since you have access to another laptop of same model go ahead and ask your friend to see if you can get a bit more information. [There were two BIOS files in that sp50586 and if we can be sure which one is correct it will eliminate trial and error.]

Please ask your friend to install and run SIW and see if it gives any information under Motherboard and BIOS.

What we are looking for is something that correlates to one of the following under BIOS or Motherboard (there may be extra digits in the string of characters):
    363E
    363C
    365C

The exact model number of the motherboard should be very helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds