BIOS Mystery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toke, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi Gang... have just installed com contents to new case Thermaltake 'Tsunami Dream' and all ok but ... No HD's showing in Bios ..I got Sata Raid Rom ENABLED & Eide Bus Master ENABLED . and am using the SATA setup at the moment but EIDE has not appeared/Loaded and not showing in My Computer..
    Tried Fail Safe/Optimum settings etc. but makes no diff ... any ideas ???

AMD ATHLON64 3200
    ABIT KV8 Pro
    512 DDR 400
    2X120 Western Digitals sata striped
    1 120 Maxtor Eide
    and all the other gubbins to make it work .... ps. all was working OK before new case build

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I'm not sure if this would be compatible with RAID but this is what worked for me:

"Integrated Periphrals":
    OnChip Serial ATA Mode - IDE
    OnChip Serial ATA - Enhanced Mode

there's enhanced mode and two or three others .. iirc it allows you to have as many IDE HDDs working with your SATA drives .. or something ...ugh! :( I h8 the way some of this info slips out of my head

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi Pyrate .. thanx for quick reply .. Umm said I sat here scratching me head and I remember reading here a while ago and put it to practice,, I disconnected all the HD's and booted and of course nothing.. I then connected the EIDE and OS is not there so of course no Boot.. I then connected the SATA setup and it said no NTLDR again ... going into BIOS and changing Boot Sequence to ADD In Cards (which is the SATA) it then booted OK with all drives showing...including the EIDE, hope this helps others with similar problem :)

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Well that was short lived as when I rebooted Iwas back to square one.. Went through the same process of boot.connections and i notice that when the EIDE HD is connected the front panel activity light is constantly on, if SATA boots up alone the activity light acts as normal... any other ideas plz.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Well it appears that it was a Jumper issue, I have noticed with this type of setup the BIOS becomes confused with the SATA RAID and an EIDE setup, as before I installed parts to new case EIDE jumper settings were at Slave, I now have it working (and rebooted 6 times) with NO jumpers on there at all, activity light is normal as well. And if I recall I had stripped this com down once before and Jumper settings were an issue once again after it was reassembled. Thanx for Pyrate again but I could not find in 'Periphrals' what you had written... :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds