BIOS ROM checksum error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Soulofdeath0, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Soulofdeath0

Soulofdeath0 Private E-2

I've technically found the solution already, but i'm unsure of what to do next.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1074897

I have the 513.rom and the awdflash.exe, and tried creating a bootable CD, but when I did what one poster did, the "Awdflash 513.rom old.rom" command, it doesn't help and I get a command or filename unrecognized message on the screen.

The problem is described in the same way as the previous poster in the thread I've mentioned, where I downloaded the sp37190.exe bios update for this motherboard and it froze at windows during installation and gives me the BIOS ROM checksum error. HP support says to go to the nearest hp service centre, but I think that I just need the correct guidance to properly make a bootable CD for this.

To recap, I have the two files needed, I just need to know how to put these on a CD to boot from in my computer.

The computer's model is an HP a6110n.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What did you try to create a bootable CD?

I found this

3. Soulofdeath0

Soulofdeath0 Private E-2

I used nero, and a guide I found to try and create a bootable cd to do try and flash the bios.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/bootcd-bios.htm

that's the guide, I wasn't sure if it'd work, since it was meant for dell desktops. and it didn't work.

The computer I'm using now has a floppy drive, would it be easier to make a bootable floppy, copy the rom and flash utility tool, take out the floppy drive and stick it in the computer I'm trying to fix?

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

If I remember correctly, doesn't a checksum error prevent you from booting your computer? meaning you wont even be able to get to the point of updating it?

5. Soulofdeath0

Soulofdeath0 Private E-2

Yeah, that's what hp support told me, the guy in the thread I posted, had the exact same problem but was still able to boot from a cd and update his bios anyway with the rom from the update executable downloaded from the hp website.

I've followed what he did fairly closely, where he extracted the sp37190.exe downloaded to get the 513.rom. I downloaded the awdflash.exe that he provided, since he said it would work.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1067933&postcount=6

that's basically the problem I have. The exe file froze during installation in windows, and it gave the checksum error that I still have.

Am I able to just copy the files from a bootable floppy disk and hope that works on a CD?

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

if you get the checksum error during bios post, and it doesn't go further, then no you cant. How far does the computer boot?

7. Soulofdeath0

Soulofdeath0 Private E-2

That's about it, I get the bios rom checksum error, and I get a message that it attempts to boot from CD and asks me to insert a system disk. Then I'm just trying to do what the other guy did in the thread I posted.

8. Soulofdeath0

Soulofdeath0 Private E-2

Don't mean to double post, but I couldn't find the edit button, here's a picture of exactly what's wrong.

Ok, well I did find the edit button, but it only allowed me to edit this post. >_<

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds