BIOS update failed

Discussion in 'Software' started by N5638J, Jan 22, 2010.

1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Well i went to update the BIOS in my Compaq to handle a Dual core AMD. Well i went to compaq and downloaded the only update for the BIOS and it was a windows based update.. I started the EXE and it popped a warning to close all programs and so i did and clicked okay and as soon as i did the PC did like a hard restart Windows did not run through the shutdown process it just went black and started it self back up on its own but the BIOS is still listed as V3.06 rather than the V3.11 I checked the BIOS and ran afew programs and it still says V3.06. Anyone know what gives?:confused

I was wondering if i really need this update. on the update it says only this about the update for dual cores

This is the BIOS update
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=3208974

And this is the computer
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...oftwareitem=pv-43509-1&os=228&product=3208974

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't think you need the update. It sounds like it just fixes a quirk in their diagnostic program not in the way BIOS sees your processor. It also looks like it is only listed under XP 32bit OS. All other OS selections show no BIOS update so it can't be that important.

I think I would skip it since it acted so strangely the first time you ran the .exe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds