Bitorrent Killer

Discussion in 'Software' started by aTa, Nov 7, 2004.

1. aTa

aTa Private E-2

Hi

I use bitorrent allot for hosting files and downloading. I was wondering why, even if only uploading at 3k it was killing my network. My computer, ad the computer connected to it slow down to a horrible slow internet speed.

Is there something I can do to fix it?

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

not sure but I use bit tornado and it shows something called "total speed"
    like right now Iam downloading at 52kb/sec and uploading at 59 kb/sec but my total speed is 250 kb/sec. ( I have a 6mbit/sec connection)
    maybey your network is being overloaded by all the background work it's doing?

3. aTa

aTa Private E-2

I'm on a 1mb connection.

My total speed is somtimes 10kbps, why would that make it come to a complete crawl?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

thats the way bit torrent it is, you can only download at a certain speed limit, so i have a 300kb/s connection and a 2mb/s connection and sometimes they both download at the same rate

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

The 'Total Speed' you are seeing is actually the speed of all the people that you are actually seeing and connected to combined. you can download at greaters speeds than that if you find people with very high upload bandwidth.

@aTa Be aware that if you are behind a router with a firewall, you SHOULD set up port forwarding for bit torrent to operate correctly.

what may be happening to your network is Bit Torrent is fighting for upload bandwidth since you have not alloted it a port, and that could be why you're feeling the connection slow.

6. aTa

aTa Private E-2

Ok thanks, I have a linksys router. Should I open certain ports for bitorrent on the linksys website?

What ports?

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

6881 t0 6999

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the ports are not specific, as long as you specify your bit torrent client to use those same ports, but yes, you should set up port forwarding through the Linksys Configuration.

be sure you have a static IP address on your network, as that is the only way you can set up port forwarding.

if you havent set up a static IP, open your router's config page 192.168.1.1 and go to the status page. There you will find 2 or 3 DNS servers, 2 of which you will need to copy into your Internet Protocol/TCPIP settings for the network card you are using, under "Use the following DNS server addresses".

once those are in, click on the "Use the following IP address" button, and choose an IP between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254

with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the defaut gateway should be your routers address 192.168.1.1

then you can go into port forwarding, choose an openening and closing port for Bit Torrent, and set the protocol to TCP and UDP (Both) for the IP address you just assigned yourself.

I use bit torrent to download some fan-subbed anime, and some sites block the commonly used bit torrent ports that Just Playin reffered to above... whcih is why i reccomend specifying some different ports (i.e. 51000-51999) and matching that port range in your bit torrent client. if the current one you are using doesnt allow this, try Bit Tornado, it is my favorite so far.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds