bizarre Windowz issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by nicetime, Sep 7, 2006.

1. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

Windows xp service pack 2........The machine attempts to load windows....then proceeds to load up till the login screen. Once I enter the administrator info (the only account set up on the machine) it accepts the user and password then goes to load the desktop....it doesnt even draw any icons then kicks me back out to the login screen.....strange.....safe mode same issue.....last know config same issue......I do notice however that when it's loading it hangs longer than normal on the "loading network settings" part of the login.....The machine is a non networked station so I would imagine anything network wise getting in the way......maybe I should disable the onboard nic from the bios?..........but a strange issue to say the least......

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The only time I've seen this happen in XP is when I've transferred the hard drive to a new machine, and it expects activation.

You haven't done anything of the sort have you?

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

This may or may not apply:
    Login logout loop
    Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
    (If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

4. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

actually there were two drives in the machine (both bootable) I took out the secondary one now it's the original.....so you could be on to something with that...I've never "activated a disk" though.....

5. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

interesting...imma give it a shot....thanks..

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Let us know how that goes! I read that and didn't post it because it stems from a problem with adaware they had in 2004.

Good luck!

ps. Can you tell us anything about the computer itself? Is it a namebrand machine (ie HP, Compaq, Gateway, Emachines, Dell, etc, etc, etc), or otherwise?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds