Black Screen at Startup after SP2 Installed

Discussion in 'Software' started by bpear1600, Nov 3, 2004.

1. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

Two days ago I installed SP2 without any known problem but when I turned the computer on the last two days I got a black screen.

I turned the monitor off and on a couple of times and got a picture. It seems like Windows loads Ok but just doesn't display at initial startup. After that it is fine. A search of Microsoft didn't yield anything that reflects my problem.

I have a two year old 3100 megahertz Pentium 4 with a 18 inch LCD monitor. I check the disk and defrag as needed. I also have NAV and no viruses or spyware.

Any suggestions?

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Does this continue to happen or was it just the one time?

You may want to update your video drivers, and see if there is a driver available for your specific monitor.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

At advanced startup options, like you are going to safe mode, enable VGA mode and see what happens.

4. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

It has happened each time I started the computer after installing SP2 which is twice. I have all the latest drivers and have run all PC Doctor's monitor and video card tests.

MS Q305595 addresses a similar problem at startup but doesn't seem to be the same. What do you think?

I really appreciate your help.

5. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

Here's another piece of the puzzle. The problem only occurs when I power down for several hours. If I power down now for a few minutes leaving the monitor on I get a normal display when I power up again. I thought I had the problem solved yesterday but when I powered up this morning the screen flickered on and off a bit and then went black as Windows completed loading. By turning the monitor off and on several times the display finally came up and has been normal ever since.

I'm not sure when I should do what you suggest. If I turn the computer off for several hours I'm not going to see anything on the screen to follow your instructions. Please explain a little bit further if you don't mind. Thanks.

Do you think this could be a monitor problem?

6. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

I powered down the computer for an hour yesterday evening with the monitor on in Power Saving mode, powered back up and everything was fine. I shut down the computer overnight with the monitor still on again and had problems with a flickering and then black screen. I could not get a display no matter what I tried.

I shut the computer off manually, restarted a few minutes later with a black screen. If I turned the monitor off and on I could get a very faint flickering screen for a couple of seconds. I hit F8 but I just couldn't see enough to try to do anything. Start Windows etc was highlighted so I hit enter, the screen lit up and Windows loaded in a normal fashion.

Anybody?

7. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

Any further thoughts based on my latest findings, ADRYNALYNE? I'm almost afraid to turn the damn thing off anymore. :confused:

8. 44039

44039 Private First Class

Sounds to me you got a dodgy monitor. Do you have another monitor you can use, just as a process of elimination?

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

9. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

I do, Scott. I'll give it a try in the next few nights.
    Thanks.

10. bpear1600

bpear1600 Private E-2

You were right, Scott. I powered down for an hour and couldn't get anything but a faint flicker and total blackness.

I then hooked up a cheap LCD Monitor I bought for an older computer and I have none of the symptoms. It was the monitor. I still have another year left on the warranty so I should get a replacement.

Thanks again. I should have tried this first. Live and learn I guess.
    Bob

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds