Black screen at startup, fans slow down to a crawl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordRaven, Aug 6, 2014.

1. LordRaven

LordRaven Private E-2

Hello! I recently came back from a trip out of town and have been experiencing issues with my computer. I made sure to leave the power cable unplugged before I left. Now, whenever I turn the PC on, I get a black screen with no sound at all, and after a few seconds all the fans slow down to a crawl, making an almost imperceptible noise. When I turn the PC off again, the PSU fan keeps spinning and my mouse's light is still on.

I can't access my full specs until I can open up the thing, but what I do remember is:

- Phenom ii x6
    - Geforce GTX 760
    - 8gb ram
    - running Windows 7 64-bit

The PC was working fine before I left, what's going on now? I will update the specs when I get back from work. Thank you for your help.

2. LordRaven

LordRaven Private E-2

Solved it! Apparently my PSU was having issues. After cleaning off the dust with a soft brush, it worked for a few hours before shorting out and scaring the crap out of me. Switched it for a new one with higher capacity (just in case, I don't think the issue was overloading but I wanted to be sure) and it's working fine again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds