Black screen before login screen w/ vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joeyc710, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Joeyc710

Joeyc710 Private E-2

Recently did some clean up of my Dell Studio laptop with a program called tune up utilities 2009. I ran through each option pretty much blindly hoping it wouldn't screw anything up. One thing I did notice was that I did not have my automatic update turned on and the program asked if I wanted to, I changed it to update fully without needing permission. I did alot of unistalling of old programs and didnt finally restart till about an hour after the first alert to restart.

After restarting, It ran through the Dell Logo, some Black screen with white text about my network adapter, then the first windows screen(mine is changed to something else, and I dont remember what this image looks like.) After about 15-20 seconds, it goes black. I was able to get it to reboot once with a series of Ctrl+Alt+Delete's, but only once. Repair disk says nothings wrong, and I don't have any restore points apparently. Can't get into safe mode either. Hangs at the last file when i try to load it.

Any ideas?!

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you say you have a vista boot disk? do you get the recovery menu? choose command prompt. then when you get to that, type the command sfc /scannow

it will scan your windows files for errors and anything that might have gone missing.

The message you see during boot about network is probably something along the lines of your boot order (which can be set in the bios) has booting from the network before the hard drive.

3. Joeyc710

Joeyc710 Private E-2

Went into Command Prompt via the Recovery disk. Typed sfc /scannow , it hangs for about 20 seconds then says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." I did a search on that and found something about a service called TrustedInstaller that may be turned off. I typed net start TrustedInstaller and get the message

"The Windows Modules Installer service is starting.
    The Windows Modules Installer service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.
    System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly."

and that's where I get stuck again.

4. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Joey, if you can get into SafeMode with Networking, download and update your BIOS. I had this problem a lot on our HP Vista machines and updating the BIOS stopped what you are describing.

5. Joeyc710

Joeyc710 Private E-2

Cannot get into safe mode, it hangs on the last one "crcdisk.sys" and just sits there. Can I update the Bios from command prompt? I have the Bios exe file on a USB flash drive.

6. Joeyc710

Joeyc710 Private E-2

I figured out how to run the exe file and it wouldnt let me off the Repair Disk cmd screen. UGH!

7. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Have you thought about a repair install? I would see if you can boot to the recovery disk and choose the option to repair windows. See how that works.

Barring that, you are looking at backing up your stuff and reinstalling.

8. Joeyc710

Joeyc710 Private E-2

Yeah, Ive tried every method of repair off the recovery disk. Which method may I use to extract the files off the PC? I have a 500GB external harddrive and a netbook that lacks the Harddrive space to come close to getting all the stuff I would need off it. I do have enough space on the corrupt computer to install a second OS. Would I be able to transfer between two OS's on the same computer?

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds