Black-screen crashes in WoW

Discussion in 'Software' started by CommanderRandom, Mar 9, 2006.

1. CommanderRandom

CommanderRandom Private E-2

I'm been playing World of Warcraft for a few months now without any problems. Recently, the game has been crashing while I play (sometimes showing a bunch of colors followed by a black screen). After each crash, the system does not respond, though it is still on; I have to reboot and reload the game each time. This problem DOES NOT occur outside of Warcraft, ever.

Blizzard recommends that I delete several specific files in the game directory. I have tried this, and the problem is no better. I've even un-installed and re-installed the game. I am not using any mods, which Blizzard says many times causes the file corruption. A quote from a Blizzard Technician: "Disabling AGP Fastwrites or changing the AGP aperture settings in the BIOS (we do not recommend BIOS changes unless a technician is present) has corrected the issue in some cases. Some UIs may also cause the crash and deleting the WDB, WTF, and Interface folders located in the game directory on your hard drive may correct the issue."

My problem is this: I'm not sure what to do about the AGP settings. Also, I recently noticed that my computer (which my friends and I built) does not have BIOS installed. Apparently, though I wasn't aware of it, Windows can run a computer without a BIOS being present. I have tried scanning for viruses and spyware with McAfee, Ad-aware, and Spybot.

Pertinent system specs:
    Win XP SP2
    Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    AMD 64 3700
    1 GB RAM

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. CommanderRandom

Upon further investigation, I do have BIOS on my computer. Phonex AwardBIOS CMOS I believe it says when I enter it. Though I'm not sure that explains why the phrase "BIOS not installed" appears during the start-up sequence. Anyways...I still have no clue how to adjust the AGP settings as suggested...

3. Bobstar

Bobstar Private E-2

what kind of mb do you have?

4. CommanderRandom

It's a Soltek, but I'm having trouble finding the exact model number. My mobo book is in dorm room...and I'm at home on spring break. Is there a way to check the model number on the computer?

5. Haydn

Haydn Private E-2

It may well be written on the motherboard itself, sometimes its written at the top of the bios when you enter it...

6. Bobstar

Bobstar Private E-2

download Aida32 from majorgeeks. It will tell you what you have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds