Black screen in BIOS, but Windows boots up just fine. Need to access BIOS.

Discussion in 'Software' started by BuriedStPatrick, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BuriedStPatrick

BuriedStPatrick Private E-2

Hi, this is my first post on this site. My friend suggested it for me, so here's the deal:
    I'm having quite a few difficulties with my custom PC running Win8. I think most of them relate to just having Win8 beta instead of Win7. Now I have Win7 and I'd very much like to install it, but I need to access my BIOS in order to do so. But here comes the problem that I cannot access my BIOS for some unexplicable reason - at least that's what I think.
    I have tried everything you can do when the computer starts - pressing all the F-keys, pressing delete. Delete will make the computer not even go to Windows, but instead just remain a black screen. I'm thinking it's going into the BIOS but for some reason my monitor doesn't pick it up.
    Now, I know that all my hardware works perfectly, my monitor can display everything perfectly when I'm inside my OS, and besides a few flaws in the Win8 beta - there's nothing out of the ordinary. Plus I can run heavy games like Sleeping Dogs and Battlefield 3 on highest settings, no problem. I've tried booting with my Win7 install cd in, but it will still give me a black screen.
    I've also made sure all drivers for my motherboard are up to date and installed.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Motherboard: P8Z77-V (ASUS)
    GPU: 2xGTX570 SLI

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Delete is supposed to allow you to access the BIOS.

4. Major Attitude

Varies from computer to computer. Some are f2, f12, etc.

5. BuriedStPatrick

I went to asus.com for the latest BIOS update and all it gave me is a .CAP file. I have no idea what to do with it. Am I supposed to boot up with it in my drive or how do I go about this? Also, my internet connection on the thing is really weird and won't let me access many sites so it just keeps timing out. Basically I have to download everything from my laptop - which I'm currently on - and then transfer it manually to my stationary PC.

6. Major Attitude

No, follow the reset instructions not the update.

7. BuriedStPatrick

You linked to the Update BIOS page. Do you have a page for simply resetting?

8. Major Attitude

Read the article. Resetting the bios is a natural need to be explained in case of problems.

9. BuriedStPatrick

I have read it. I then turned to read my motherboard's manual and it said nothing about resetting, only about updating and explained a couple of ways to do it. Tried it, BIOS still won't show up. Had the internet working properly until I decided to reboot, then it screwed up again. This is REALLY frustrating. No-one else on the internet seems to have the same problems my computer has. My friends laugh it off and say it's because I'm running Win8 - without any proof of course.

There are a number of problems that my friends think Win8 messes up for me:
    1. There are only some websites that work, even tried with several browsers. For instance battlelog.battlefield.com will NEVER work if I try to access, but Youtube.com works fine. My download speed is 2MB/s so it really shouldn't be a problem, and I download frequently without issues.
    2. Windows will NOT recognize my 2TB HDD, only my SSD which it's installed on. I have followed countless tutorials, but it won't show up.
    3. And then there's this issue with the BIOS not showing up either.

I have a Win7 disk, but am unable to install it because I can't see a thing inside the BIOS. It's probably running, I just can't see it.

10. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Motherboard manual for P8Z77-V
    Page 2-19
    Section 2.2.7 Jumper
    Clear RTC RAM

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

One thought is that some early (and maybe a few newer) LCD monitors had trouble displaying the BIOS and DOS screens as you describe. I know I had to drag out an old CRT monitor to see BIOS screens for one of my computers years ago.

I don't think it is related to installing Win8, have you ever seen your BIOS screens on that monitor? Do you have another monitor to try or can you borrow one? It doesn't have to be CRT just a different one than yours which doesn't seem to be compatible.

Reset the BIOS is just unplug and remove the small disc shaped watch-type battery for 1 minute. Put back together. Boot.

12. plodr

Try another keyboard.
    I had attached a keyboard to my husband's PC and could not get into the BIOS. I swapped out the keyboard for another and I could then access the BIOS.
    Ironically price of the keyboard doesn't matter. The one that didn't work was a fancy lighted keyboard. The one that allowed me to get into the BIOS was a cheap yellow with large black letters that I bought for $5 from a surplus store.

I got rid of the fancy lighted keyboard. If I can't access the BIOS when needed, that's a deal breaker for me.

13. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

Good suggestion from plodr.

I seem to recall something like this way back when. The solution was to use a PS/2 port keyboard (purple 6 pin din connector). If you have one available, it's worth a try. You still may have to experiment to find the the right key to access the bios. I highly recommend turning off the computer when plugging or un-pluging this type of keyboard.

Good luck!

14. plodr

Actually the computer in question uses a USB keyboard. It has no PS/2 port.

15. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

16. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I'm missing a post?

from 2012 to yesterday?

17. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Same here... :confused:

18. plodr

Post #12 was a reply to but not to the posts above it in this thread. It was a reply to someone who couldn't get into the BIOS of a computer, not from 2012 but a new problem. - Not sure what happened to that post.

I won't be offended if everything from post #12 and later is nuked and the 2012 thread put to rest.

satrow likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds