Black Viper Services Help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by djinfidel, Nov 27, 2005.

1. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

Hey Everybody. A few weeks ago, in addition to running AdAware and my virusscanner regularly, I used BlackViper's configuration for windows services (http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 , "MINE"). I later noticed that many embedded objects in webpages, including flash files, java, and some pictures won't show. However, some objects still load. Like I can see the graphics of this forum, and if you go to comedy central's webpage, for example, I see some pictures, but not everything.

Any idea what's going on, or more appropriately, how I can fix it???

I'm at your mercy! :eek: :confused:

2. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

geez, is this the only question to stump the MajorGeek crew? Dayyyum!

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Have a feeling that it is not your services that stopped certain web-content from working. Probably some different setting you have fiddled with in the same moment.

Repair Internet Explorer

If that doesn't work, then try a System Restore point, or perform a repair install of XP (Unless other suggestions comes up).

4. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

Well I tried to reinstall IE but that didn't work, although I can see more pictures now on webpages. However, still having trouble seeing video or any moving picture source. Should I really try to do a repair install of XP?

5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

When saying "seeing" does it mean that the audio plays but there is no picture ?

You could try to uninstall any "codec packs" reboot and then install Media Player 10 along with the FFDShow Codec (Use ffdshow-20051115.exe).
    You could try to uninstall your display driver, reboot and reinstall the drivers again.

6. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

Done. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it either. I've found a way to check what file types I'm not seeing, and they all seem to be GIFs. However, it only seems to happen when they're on some webpages, such as www.aol.com.

For example, Snakefoot, I can see your avatar, but, if you load www.comedycentral.com , i can't see the GIFs at the top of the page, or above the headlines "get loaded" or "shop till you fall down".

Btw Snakefoot, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help, man!

7. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

My guess is that you have an advertising blocker installed, whether it is your firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or have a modified HOSTS file.
    • Try momentarily to disable these programs and see if it loads the advertisments.
    • Run this command to open the HOSTS file and check if it contains other entries than 127.0.0.1 localhost

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you open IE, go to tools, choose Internet Options, and click on the advanced tab, what is NOT checked?

9. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

the only other thing that loads is some IP address followed by "sitefinder.verisign.com", which I didn't know what it was, so I went to the IP and my virus scanner said it was malware or something, so I deleted it from the host file.

As for unchecked boxes, no accessability boxes are checked, no personalized favorites, no script error notifications, no forcing of offscreen compositing even under terminal services, no show friendly urls, no autocomplete, no passive FTP, no http 1.1 through proxy connections, no java logging, no java console, no image download placeholders.

And under the advanced security, here are the lines unchecked:
    -allow active content from CDs to run on my computer
    -allow active content to run in files from my computer
    -allow software to run or install even if signature is invalid.
    -check for server certificate revocation.
    -do not save encrypted pages to disk
    -empty temp when browser closes
    -use TLS 1.0
    -warn if changing between secure and not secure modes.

10. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

bump b-bump bump bump

11. djinfidel

djinfidel Private E-2

I figured I'd post a fix for this if anyone else encounters this problem:

I installed Firefox and now my computer runs much faster, and problem solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds