Blank screen adter upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Keyser Soze, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

for my aunt i am uograding her PC, a dell 4550, she had i n it a 40 GB hdd and 128MBs of ram at DDR PC2100

ok i put in it a western digital 80 GB hdd and 2X512 kingston valueram DDR 3200

then i booot the computer, well accually soon as i plug it in the green light at the front (on buttton) turns on but the computer does nothing, ive tried pressing the button again, that just turns it off

im thinking the ram is bad, or could it be th e wrong voltage? or the wrog speed, i assumed it would take 3200 even if it only used say 2700 as its max,

well, next thing im gunna do is put the old ram back in, and see if the computer then works, if it does then of course its the ram, but i thought id post here now just to see if anyone else had any thoughts on it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If the light comes on it's not doing nothing ;) Does it boot in safe mode with the new memory installed? Does it boot with the new memory installed alone?

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

no sir im talkin a blank screen period, no splash screen no safe mode question, no nothing, i tell u one thing tho, the 80 gig has yet to be formatted, i was going to do that with the install of windows XP

i lmpw the monitor is plugged in right cuz it has a built in screen saver that comes on when theres no signal

4. Mimsy

If there's nothing on the hard drive, try booting from a CD, either one with memtest or a live OS disc. If that works, it's not the memory.

And I'm not a "sir" ;)

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

ok, ill try dban hard drive eraser, one thing tho, it doesnt even show a boot screen and i cant like go into bios, normally theres a dell splash screen

6. Mimsy

Hm. That is a bit odd, and could be a bad sign. If you take out the RAM, does the computer behave exactly the same as when you have it installed?

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try putting in the old RAM and keep the new HD in place...do you get the splash screen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds