blank screen on start up

Discussion in 'Software' started by richdio, Oct 9, 2008.

1. richdio

richdio Private First Class

hi,
    toshiba laptop, win xp, service pack 3,

when i start up (not all the time but most) all i get is a blank screen !!

have to turn off then back on about 2-3 times then the op system will start

will start when i select f12 and then boot from there (hard drive).

have ran spy/mal/root and not found any, when i do get into the comp.

any ideas, thanks

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

have you tried to do a scandisk for errors this function may help if there are problems in the windows file system

3. richdio

thanks, but how what is a scandisk !! cant get into comp sometimes to do anything, ps hows the cricket doing !!!!

4. iwunderdownunder

gday not much of a cricket fan this way just a bit slow for me i am a motor sport fan big weekend this week end bathurst 1000 anyway when you are able to get to the desktop this may sort the issues out click on my computer then right click on your c drive from the dropped down menu go to properties when the properties dialog box appears click on tools you in that box you will see error check click on error check make sure both find and fix errors are ticked the press start you will be prompted that it is unable to complete scan and you will have to schedule for the next startup select yes then restart your computer the scan will take some time but if there is and errors in the windows files it will correct them worth a try good luck

5. richdio

Thanx for that running it now, will let you know if that works,
    enjoy the racing !! oh and the weather !!

6. iwunderdownunder

no probs cober come sunday you wont here a peep out of me be glued to me 106 cm plazma all the best hope it helps

7. richdio

Hi mate,
    na didnt work, took 2 trys this time to start up, just powers up then nothing !!

had a couple of prog running on start up so just cancelled them out,

oh and another thing windows set up will start to run but nothing to set up or start so i cancel it ??

laptop getting on a bit now third one in house so not a major prob, anything else i can try ?
    thanx

8. iwunderdownunder

gday richdio you say that windows setup is trying to run do you mean that windows installer is trying to install a program or windows setup is trying to install windows again just abit confused on that one. what type of registry clean and repair program do you have on board if none there are several good freeware programs available here at mg's just thinking maybe the registry may be cluttered up and slowing things down.you say that its not a priority so i am willing to work through this to help you get it back on board.

9. richdio

Hi mate,
    sorry about that 'windows installer' runs at start up then just switches off when up and running,

comp started first time this morning, have system mechanic and tune up 08 have ran both to fix reg and clean out junk.

nothing unusual running at start up just kaspersky anti virus,msn log in and thats about it.

thanks for looking for me, enjoy the racing got your beer in ? bbq to ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds