Blank screen when I turn my computer on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Superfreak, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Superfreak

Superfreak Private E-2

Whenever I turn my computer on I get a black screen and it doesn't budge from there. My monitor just seems to go into sleep mode and I can't do anything. Also my dvd drive makes this horrible sound whenever I start up my computer so I swapped out the drive with another one I had around the house and it made the exact same noise. I even took out my hard drive to make sure that wasn't what was making the noise. I've never encountered such a strange problem before. I tested the optical drive in another computer and it doesn't make this noise. I just have no idea what could be causing it. Any suggestions?

P4 3.0 ghz
    GeForce 6800XT 256mb PCI-E
    2 gigs of RAM
    Windows XP Media Center Edition

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since no one else will try this one I will have a go.

First if you have no picture, why are you playing with the dvd drive?

Graunching noises suggest fan problems. Either a fan is clogged up with dirt or catching on an internal cable or just wearing out. Check all these including your graphics card.

At best this is your problem and restarting the fan will restart your picture.

Next best option is the power supply failing, not providing proper power to dvd drive and graphics card. Check by substitution.

If this does not work you have cooked something, this could be any or all of, memory, processor, graphics card. Depending on the specs of your other pc you may be able to check these out, one at a time, by substitution.

Post the results and good luck

Studio T

3. Whitey

Whitey Private E-2

I've had this problem in the past 3 times before on 3 different PC's. It's a nasty one.

studiot basically covered everything though :p. Substitution is the best method for testing, although I took mine to a guy I know who specializes in hardware problems. If you can't work out the problem from the above ways, take it to a professional, don't play around too much.

From what I know, the problem's usually power or fan related. And those are usually the hardest to test yourself, unless you have a spare fan or power unit sitting around :). One time I did it though, I hadn't put in a stick of RAM properly, and it was only partially in. I hope it's a nice simple problem like that that doesn't involve you buying expensive new parts :p.

Good luck,

/Whitey

4. Superfreak

Superfreak Private E-2

I just remembered my computer is still under warranty so I'm sending it in free of charge, but it is still going to be annoying without my computer. This is just the latest of many problems I have had with this computer when I got it less than a YEAR ago. My dvd drive went, my onboard sound stopped working, my video card doesn't appear to be working anymore, and now my hard drive just died. I did some fiddling around substituting a video card and I got picture but I can only access my BIOS it says my hard drive isn't there. Last time I buy from ibuypower.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds