Blank screen wont come back on after long periods of time

Discussion in 'Software' started by Geodizzle, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Geodizzle

Geodizzle Private E-2

I didn't know how to properly describe the problem in the title, so it might be a bit unclear. (also, sorry if this problem has already been posted - i did have a look but didnt see it)

Basically I've set my powersave settings so my screen turns off after 20 minutes. Sometimes (i think its after long periods of time), the screen won't come back on when i move the mouse, so I just have to turn it off and boot up again. I do leave the computer on over night quite often because I'm running downloads that I want finished. (at first i thought the problem was related to my download client, but it isn't).

I'm having trouble identifying what the problem is exactly, because the other day i ran regcure, and the problem seemed to stop, but now its happened again. Also, after booting up again, my internet just randomly doesnt work (the wireless network connection icon doesnt even appaer in the system tray). All I have to do is unplug the adapter and put it back in again, but I still dont get why my internet just doesnt work after booting up again after this screen problem.

I went into a lot of detail there, I hope you can help. Thank You

Attached Files:

2. Geodizzle

Geodizzle Private E-2

in power schemes its set to home/office desk, and the monitor is set to turn off after 20mins. turn off hard disks and system standby are set to never

in the advanced options, "always show icon on the taskbar" is unchecked, and the prompt for password one is checked. and when i press the power button its set to shut down. hibernation isnt enabled

thanks

3. Geodizzle

Geodizzle Private E-2

sorry to double post, but i really need some help with this problem. it is becoming increasingly annoying. thank you

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you have a USB mouse, it could be that the USB port shuts off power so the computer doesn't know the mouse is moving.
    Quick solution and what I use. I turn the monitor off with the on/off switch.

Check to see if the USB ports are set to turn off after a period of time.

5. Geodizzle

Geodizzle Private E-2

thanks, i will try that

something i discovered yesterday... i set AVG anti-virus to run a scan every morning at 3... i disabled it and left my computer on all night. usually this would mean it wont wake up, but this time it did. that could be it... AVG could be causing a problem

but ill try your suggestion as well. thank you

6. Geodizzle

Geodizzle Private E-2

right, okay...

the problem doesnt seem to be related to my usb mouse, or AVG... and turning off the screen doesnt help either, as i discovered this morning. i turned the screen back on and it was just black...

do you think it could be a problem with my actual monitor and not any software??

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were just the monitor, I'd say hardware but the monitor doesn't come on AND you lose your internet connection.
    You also reboot and still don't get the internet connection back, if I'm reading your first post properly.
    It seems like your wireless modem and monitor aren't getting power. The chore will be to try and figure out what is cutting off the power.
    Where is your monitor and router plugged in? Could it be a faulty power strip?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds