Block URL's for Individual User

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hillwalker, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Hillwalker

Hillwalker Private E-2

I'm running XP SP2 and IE7 on our Home Computer.
    We each have separate accounts.
    Is it possible to block certain URL's by User Account in XP or IE ?

I can block/filter URL's on my Broadband Hub but the settings are applied by Computer name so they apply to everyone.

thanks
    Andy

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

You can log into their account and put in certain url addresses to block however once you are gone and they log in they can come back and take them out.
    You can also try to limit the account and put in the blocked urls I'm not sure if they will be able to change the setting under a limited user account.

Lastly you can get a program like net nanny ( I haven't used it in about 5 years and it cost me around $29.00) and put in the urls you don't want that user to visit. It is password protected so they will not be able to change them.
    Other than that if you hang on someone else may have a better option than I gave you.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Hillwalker, if you are an administrator and the user you want to block sites from is a normal user, you can put sites into the hosts file. The normal user will not be able to edit this file.

Go here C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC to see the hosts file

as an example, say you want to block http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php
    in the hosts file you would type this line
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php
    if the user tried to go to http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php
    they would get a 404 error in the browser, page not found.

4. Hillwalker

Hillwalker Private E-2

Thanks fo the feedback,
    Yes I have Admin rights and the other Users don't
    I want to be able to block sites by individual User
    Would this block the URL's for all users ?

Andy

5. plodr

Yes, if it is in the hosts file, no one would be able to get to the site; everyone would see the 404 error.

If you need to block only for specific users than some sort of paid filtering program would be what you want.
    I used to have a list of software to keep children/teens safe on the internet but the forum where I posted is out of business.
    I might have it as a bookmark in one of my windows computers. I'll fire up windows later and see if I can find it.

6. Hillwalker

Hillwalker Private E-2

Anyone know what the URL is for Instant Messeneger ?

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What do you mean? Do you want to download instant messaging software? Which one? AOL's, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, etc.?

8. Hillwalker

Hillwalker Private E-2

Should have been more specific,,
    I want to block access to Microsofts Instant messenger but can't seem to find the name of the URL ...

Anyone know ?

I have tried "gateway.messenger.hotmail.com" which appeared to block access with some versions but it doesn't block version 8.1

9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. Hillwalker

Hillwalker Private E-2

OK point taken, I raised the other thread because I got the impression that this one didn't clearly define the isssue.

I tried the above url without success :(
    It seems that Microsoft are determined to ensure IM gets past all attempts to restrict it.. I am realy reluctant to de-install it because I don't want to stop the kids altogether I just want to restrict it .....
    Perhaps, I need to go to good parenting classes and just get the kids to do as they're told instead of having to create filters ... :)

11. plodr

There are programs that restrict IM programs but all I've been able to find so far are paid ones.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds