Blocking Internet Game

Discussion in 'Software' started by wally-girl, Jan 16, 2006.

1. wally-girl

wally-girl Private E-2

there is a game on my friends comp that i want to block so the kids cant access it, is there a program? thanks

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Do you mean online, or do the kids have physical access to the PC?

If they can access the PC, what operating system is it?

3. wally-girl

wally-girl Private E-2

yes online its a game called "Runescape" they play it every day, its a windows xp and had to get wiped several times coz of spyware ect.. I try to help by running programs like virus scans and spyware scans but the amount of spyware just over loads it.

4. Ayanla

Ayanla Private E-2

Runescape shouldn't be adding any spyware of any sort. They have banner ads running during gameplay, but unless the kids are clicking on them, there's nothing being downloaded. It's just a browser based game. If they're getting spyware, they're getting it from somewhere besides Runescape.

Speaking as a parent rather than a geek, this is something you should address on a parent/child level. If they are unable to not do the things you ask them not to do on the computer then they should be unable to use the computer. My kids know that there are certain things they are not allowed to do on the computer, and one slipup means no more computer for a significant time. I have had only one issue with my 9 year old, and removing her computer access for a week cleared that issue right up. I don't play around. Generally if you're resorting to "sleuth" methods of restricting your kid's behavior, you have a deeper issue that needs to be addressed.

5. DeltaJ

DeltaJ Private First Class

Yes Spyware usally does not come from browser based games.

6. Insomniac

Try a firewall that has filtering and that you can password protect to stop anyone changing the settings.

ZoneAlarm is pretty good. We have it HERE. (Not sure if the free version has those features, but it's vital regardless)

There are dedicated programs that will allow you to block certain sites, but they are far from perfect.

I would also suggest you pay a visit to the Malware Removal Forum and read the stickies if you are getting spyware, although it's very challenging if kids are using the PC.

7. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Surely there is an easy way to block certain sites? I don't know one myself save Zonealarm but thats not hard to get around, especially when an enthusiastic kid wants to.

Someone must know - come on.... help her out :)

8. Insomniac

Notice how you are the ONLY one who hasn't offered any help, yet almost ridiculing others for not helping? :rolleyes:

And if you're so talented, tell us all how you would get past ZoneAlarm that is password protected, and on a properly configured system?

9. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Now now sweetie, no need to get all worked up :)

10. wally-girl

wally-girl Private E-2

oh, no no not my kids hehe, i think you got confused. its my boyfriends brothers and sisters, they are clueless about computers im just trying to help them, saving them getting there pc wiped every month? :rolleyes:

11. Insomniac

Get them to set up a limited account for the kids if their operating system has that feature.

If they are using Internet Explorer, they can try the Content Adviser, along with adding the site to the Restricted Sites list. (In tools, Internet Options)

Finally, install ZoneAlarm and password protect it, then set up the web filtering feature.

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Not only that, but make sure that this is set as read only.

If XP pro. Make sure that only the SYSTEM has access to this file.

Excellent suggestion, MA!

Also, there is a registry setting that makes sure that the hosts table is the first to resolve these queries.

14. Insomniac

Nice catch MA! Sadly, I wasn't even on the field.

Anyway, make sure you have hidden files and folders showing and file extensions displayed in Windows Explorer, then do a search for your Hosts file.

There are a few, but the relevant one doesn't have an extension.

You can just edit it with Notepad. Follow MA's direction, then File, Save As.

Obviously, make a backup copy first before you do any work, and I also suggest the other recommendations anyway to protect their PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds