Blocking Online gaming sites (msn, yahoo, etc) Help! :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Damon016, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Damon016

Damon016 Private E-2

:confused

Ok, so here we go... I am probably beating a dead horse in the sense that I have looked everywhere for the answer. Here is my situation. I am an onsite IT guy for a large dealership. At this time, we are trying to take control of an accounting dept. full of women that are abusing the games on the PC. By this I mean, going to yahoo games, msn games, etc... The network team is working on this, however they are corporate and doing everything with websense and from 1000 miles away.

Currently they are blocking majority of the sites, however it's just not effective when it comes to yahoo games w/out blocking all of yahoo which they can not do.

I have looked at doing this via the host file my self. (I know this isn't a sure fire way) but it's free, and something I am allowed to do w/out going through compliance. Does anyone 1. Have a host file they use to block most of the online gaming sites and what not? 2. Have an alternate free way of doing this? 3. Some more idea's for blocking just the gaming portions of MSN and Yahoo w/out effecting the mail portions?

Hopefully someone can help :cry

Thank you very much in advance...

IT Guy in Florida :/

2. Damon016

Damon016 Private E-2

ouch... must be a bit more difficult than I thought... (hope someone has an answer) eh! :) I cant be the only one in this groupp heh

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If your using Websense then the Master Filter table has options to block online games in the games section, and as many of them are url specific you could add blocks to games.msn.com,zone.msn.com, games.yahoo.com etc

These filtered sections, do block gaming sites and leave the mail alone as our workplace used Websense up until late last year and my MSN online account was fine to access. Due to abuse of the internet system a quote system via Websense was introduced that only allowed one hour of free internet time ( didnt inclued any of the online gaming or other blocked sites ) for your own things like yahoo, gmail, MSN mail etc as for us all work related emails should be coming through workplace email address, if the web address was work related then that was fine for surfing all day if you wished.

Does your workplace have a policy on internet abuse? if not maybe work looking into adding that to the job contracts as many companies do these days. Easier to also trace users who abuse if they have their own user and password for network access as logs can be created from heavy users accounts.

Yes Hosts or Privacy > Settings in the browser could block as many of the online gaming sites you could find via the url, not seen any lists of hosts for these specific sites for download, so would need to to add them yourself and make sure using group policy that no users have access to change settings in the browser or edit hosts. This could be a short term fix while waiting for your corp to get a handle on Websenses options.

Some of the bigger ones are these

games.yahoo.com
    uk.games.yahoo.com
    games.yahoo.net
    msngamecentre.co.uk
    games.msn.com
    zone.msn.com
    arcade.ninemsn.com.au
    pogo.com
    miniclip.com
    onlinegames.net
    dailygames.com
    armorgames.com
    gamesoid.com
    freeonlinegames.com

4. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

Halo is correct, just have to know all the sites is all

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds