Blocking server connections?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hidden., Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hidden.

Hidden. Private E-2

Hey guys, for some time now my computer has been having trouble connecting to servers... All firewalls off, all anti-virus programs off, what ever the case may be, and it simply won't even give a chance for some things to connect.

Mostly, I've encountered problems with Authentication/Update servers for games/programs and even ITunes store. I've tried formatting and even a new hard drive and the problem persists and it just seems like I can't turn to anyone who knows what the problem is... Is there anything (like a log or something) that I can give you guys to try and figure out what's stopping me from connecting to these things?

More specific things...

Installing Aion (a game)
    It would install it all, and then when it would hit 100%, it would just stop working (supposedly that's an online authentication).

Repairing World of Warcraft (says it cannot connect to the server)

ITunes Store
    Getting the error: ITunes cannot connect to the ITunes store.

Blizzard Launcher
    (News page server from a game)

Steam Browser
    (Cannot open a direct connection from the program, I have to open Mozilla and type the address in)

Internet Explorer
    It simply doesn't connect to the internet...

A lot of things like this happen, I have no clue what it is, firewall on with allowances... Nothing.

Firewall off... nothing

I've even uninstalled the antivirus to see if it would work... Nothing.

I'm just lost as to what is up... Anyone think they could help?

Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. What version of windows are you running?
    2. How do you connect to the internet? I assume broadband so is it dsl or cable?
    3. If cable, do you connect through a router? If so, brand and model.
    4. When did the problem first start?
    5. Have you done anything to try and fix it?
    6. Have you run any scans to be sure the computer does not have malware?

3. Hidden.

Hidden. Private E-2

1) Windows XP
    2) ADSL2
    3) Nope, just a modem (Belkin ADSL2+)
    4) 3 or so months ago (and more and more programs are getting affected, things I haven't had problems with in the past).
    5) I've gone as far as re-installing Windows and buying a new Hard drive. Neither solved my problem.
    6) This is a big obsolete... I ran all the virus scanners in the world prior to the Windows re-install.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What model Belkin? I believe you access the controls by typing in 192.168.2.1
    Your modem has a firewall (most dsl modems do). Have you checked that nothing is blocked by your modem?

Are you sure the modem is not failing? Strange things can happen when modems and routers start to fail.
    Since you've re-installed windows and also got a different hard drive, I'd tend to think it is not your computer. If it isn't the computer, the other place to look is the modem.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

To add to Plodr's advice, check your network cables, sometimes they can get damaged. You might also check your NIC, maybe take your computer to a friend's house, and see if you can get online there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds