Blog Platforms & Google Apps For Work

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steverino, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Steverino

Steverino Private E-2

Hey, folks-in-the-know.

What's the best & most economical way to host / manage your own domain these days? Before I renew mine, I'm curious about what others are doing. I currently use Blogger (my site has five years of stuff on there), but it seems Google wants to force me into an Apps for Work account / deal (do I really need that now?), and I'm not totally happy with what Blogger allows. I'm comfortable with Wordpress, but unsure of dealing with them with your own domain. I hear / read you don't get much for free. I like a little flexibility, but don't need anything too flashy. Is there still an option to just renew my domain and use Blogger as my platform? Searching for help on Google's spaces hasn't solved my questions yet.

Thoughts?

2. akm

akm Sergeant

Similar question here... where to find a good (free) domain hosting site.
    Need to be able to use MyBB open source forum software.
    See no MG answer here... were you able to find help info at any other source ?
    Thanks.

3. Chim

Chim Private First Class

That is exactly what I have read and been informed of all along since way back in 2013 when I had to look for a new Blogging platform home upon my old one being closed down. The consensus that I have come across is that yes, Wordpress IS the Gold Standard among Blogging platforms and has an abundant mega prowess of useful, powerful goodies ... but, that VERY few are available for free. So, if there is some feature that you absolutely want and need, it'll very likely be available; you'll just probably need to pay for it a la carte.

Have you tried posting your Blogger inquiries on the Blogger Forums / Google Groups?
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/blogger
    I don't know if the "Google spaces" that you mention is one and the same as the above.

You might also try searching in this guy's Blog: http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/
    He seems pretty knowledgeable regarding Blogger stuff. I don't know if there is a way to contact him directly.

Unfortunately, sort of like you, for the most part, I have found my searches for answers and my submissions of suggestions to Blogger / BlogSpot to be futile. So far I've been lucky that I haven't encountered any monumental problems that I wasn't eventually able to fix via messing around with it or Googling up a solution somewhere.

But, hopefully you luck 0ut there at the Google Groups forum, Steverino.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds