blue file folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by geek_love, Oct 23, 2008.

1. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

Hi, all. I'm running Windows Home Premium and I just happened to notice that my C:\Windows\System32\Drvstore folder is listed in blue instead of black. That's weird, right?

It contains a GEARAspi folder, which is, apparently, having to do with CD/DVD burning software. I currently have Blaze and AVS burning software, and have tried IMGBurn and a couple other programs I can't remember, but, as far as I know, nothing from Gear.

Anyone know what's going on?

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

This blue text usually means the folder is compressed. Go to C:\Windows and you will probably see lots of them.

You could run a search for "Gear" and see what other folders appear, but you are coorect in your assumption. This is a .dll for Gear software application. Also check the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs and see if Gear is listed as an app.

3. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

Lev, thanks for your quick reply.

I checked C:\Windows and couldn't find anything else in blue. I can't find anything else in blue anywhere. Is that unusual?

I think I've solved the other mystery. I checked the date of the most recent file modification to the DRVSTORE folder against the install dates of my apps in Add/Remove Programs. The apps that correspond are all updates to iTunes, QuickTime, Bonjour, etc. I did an online search and found an article about Apple's (and several other developers') use of Gear drivers.

So, there you have it.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You probably have certain files/folders set to be hidden, so it;s why you don't see what I do.

Glad you figured out the Gear drivers - thanks for letting us know. Useful info.

5. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

Actually, I'm showing hidden files and folders, and I've "un-hid" protected OS files. That's why I'm a little stymied as to why I can't find anything else in blue. But maybe it's not a problem?

In any case, I do appreciate the help, Lev. Thanks.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Do you have NTFS file system or FATS?

7. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

My file system is NTFS (although I myself have often been referred to as "Fats").

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Heh, ok...well it is specific to the NTFS file system. Having compressed folders is not a a problem - just takes a little longer to access them (not that you would really notice). The other time they go blue is if they are encrypted.

9. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

Hmmm... Well, I've learned something new today, which makes it a good day. I take it, then, that the fact that the only blue files I can find in my computer are in the DRVSTORE folder is, while odd, not really a problem?

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Nope...not a problem :) You can always un-compress them too if you feel they are slow in being accessed and want to speed things up a little.

11. geek_love

geek_love Private E-2

Lev, thank you so much for your time, attention, and good spirits.

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You are very welcome :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds