Blue Frog - does it really fight back?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BarYochai, May 2, 2006.

1. BarYochai

BarYochai Private E-2

I received unsolicited mail today (into my Junk box), but its concept sounds interesting. "Blue Frog" (at www.bluesecurity.com) claims to be a fight-back scheme to shut down spammers and force Denial of Service to ISPs that support them. Its free download software says it'll capture all the junk mail that you delete, then ferret out the spammer and attack that site.

I've searched Google, PC-Mag, ZD-Net and this site for more info, specifically if this is a legitimate tool we can start using to cut down on the crapola we receive daily (I'm up to 60% at least of my mail being spam).

Your comments gratefully accepted before I download and install a tool that might actually sell my name to a spammer's list!

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

3. BarYochai

BarYochai Private E-2

Thank you, but where did you read your reviews and how come neither PC Mag nor ZiffDavis nor Microsoft think it necessary to mention it?

4. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Those sorts of companies are about the last to get on board with a program like that --- also, it works best with FireFox.

5. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

6. BarYochai

BarYochai Private E-2

I put not my faith in Princes nor the sons of Man, but where it belongs, with the Big Guy. We only learn by questioning and challenging, not by accepting dogma.
    Thank you for your speedy reply!

7. BarYochai

BarYochai Private E-2

Thanks, Corporal.
    Firefox is a Web browser. So you're telling me that Blue Frog works better with Firefox than with MS Internet Explorer, right?

But I thought that Blue Frog is a mail interceptor which works with MS Outlook, unconnected with the web browser I use.

Or are you referring to the fact that I should have switched back years ago to Netscape/Mozilla and done my best to ignore Bill Gates?

8. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Downloaded Bluefrog from here but it will not connect to Blue security site!!! Just curious to know if any others have had this problem recently. I would love it to work, as spammers are definitely Numero ono on my hate list. They collectively should be run out of town, like the slime they are, and that does take us ALL fighting back

9. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

I've been getting a lot of this:-

Dear Blue Frog Member,

As a follow-up to our previous emails, and, as promised, we are stepping up in the fight against Blue Security.

The Blue Frog member email database has been compromised, and is currently being distributed worldwide to spammers and to the public. Attached to this email, you will find a zip file of the Blue Frog database, which includes your own personal or business email address(es). If you have not uninstalled Blue Frog yet, we highly suggest you do so now in order to avoid your involvement in this war any further.

Leaving your email address on the Blue Frog list is a risky choice, as we will uphold our promise not only to increase your spam by 20 times the amount you are receiving now, but to continue to make this list publically available as well. Also, as the Blue Frog member database is updated, we will find more creative ways in which to use it, and frequently release it to whomever we wish.

Blue Security, Inc

Any ideas?

10. quirk

quirk Corporal

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

12. Lance Bombardier

Thanks, Quirk.
    So we keep supporting these Blue Frog people? Good

13. quirk

quirk Corporal

No prob, and thanks Shadow.
    I stepped through the discussion boards commenting on bad journalism. Seems like the whole community is blasting anyone blaming BS.

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I use Blue Frog myself; they definetly hit a nerve with this guy. He wants a public fight with a company like Blue Security; OK. That will just get the undivided attention of law enforcement agencies all over the world. I have a feeling things are going to get much worse for this group of spammers very quickly.

15. quirk

quirk Corporal

I wholeheartedly agree. This whole incident seems to be a rallying point, and will probably cause them even more problems as BS gains more popularity.

16. Lance Bombardier

Quirk, or Shadow.

What's BS?

17. TaJMoX

TaJMoX Private E-2

This all sounds like another horrible horrible idea, which should probably come to an end soon.

18. quirk

quirk Corporal

This?
    You mean the attack on users attempting to opt out of spamlists?
    :confused:

19. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What's a "joe-job"? Haven't come across this term before. Bazza

20. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Blue Security

21. Shadow_Puter_Dude

joe-job: n., vt.
    A spam run forged to appear as though it came from an innocent party, who is then generally flooded by the bounces; or, the act of performing such a run.

22. bigbazza

Thamks, S_P_D, for the explanation I could have probably googled it, but posted it here in case others hadn't heard of the term, either.

Haven't seen you on the forums for a while. :cool: :D Bazza

===

23. Banacek

Banacek Private E-2

Does anyone know when the Blue Frog servers are going to start accepting spam reports again? They keep bouncing back when I try and report mine!

24. Shadow_Puter_Dude

http://community.bluesecurity.com/.3c54406d

25. GothikGeek

GothikGeek Private E-2

blue frog has died...anyone have any suggestions as to another programme with similar functions that works with webmail?

26. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yes and Thanks to Bigbazza,our "DownUnder Geek" it is Mailwasher at http://www.majorgeeks.com/MailWasher_d2054.html works like a charm, and is less offensive in its tactics, and is much safer to use. I have some horror stories on my use of "Blue Frog" with its file names of Blue Monkey and Blue Grease, Good Luck in getting their "Blue Monkey" off of your computer's back, a simple uninstall did not work for me.:eek: :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

27. GothikGeek

GothikGeek Private E-2

you know, i got the bluefrog uninstalled easily....

does mailwasher work for webmail?

28. Lance Bombardier

HAs Blur Frog gone? What happened?

29. Lance Bombardier

Has Blue Frog gone? What happened to it?

30. star17

star17 MajorGeek

31. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Yes MailWasher Pro works on POP, AOL,MSN and I believe Yahoo, not certain about G-mail. Best bet is to try the free version here, then purchase the pro version from MG (hey got to support the site) The FREE version only supports POP I believe, but it gives you the idea. Rumour is that if you want on MailWasher Pro you can opt for "BlueFrogging". Hey once you have used this program you'll never do without. I love the fact that you can check your mail without it being "Opened" right at you mail site, then "Bounce" the offending stuff back to the spammer with "Not Viable ISP addy", so the slime :mad: leave you alone. LOVE IT Thanks again Big Bazaa

32. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yes, we posted a news article on it last week and removed the file. I use SpamFighter Pro, integrates as a toolbar in Outlook. Many programs are an extra program that runs in front of the main mail program, I hate that personally.

http://majorgeeks.com/SPAMfighter_Standard_d4316.html

33. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The slime are already onto that trick, and have been for a while. (which is why it has no effect, you still get spam from the same idiots)

Bouncing does nothing but tell them the address is active.

34. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

35. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Thanks for the link Insomniac, certainly gives one some points to ponder about "Bouncing", though I must say it gives you some satisfaction (even though it may just be surreal) to "Bounce" the C**p back to the source (but that is now in question to!!!). That said the main feature of MailWasher that I like the most is the fact that you are checking the E-Mail at the receiving source, not your own computer. So you do not let the nasties get a chance to morph out of your Email program, as they never arrive. Should also point out that "Blue Frog" had numerous people say that it did not accomplish anything...........Yet the Spammers did not think that, hence the shut down of "Blue Frog". We ALL have to do something about the spammers, and right know all I can think to do is use programs like MailWasher until something more effective comes along.
    Again Thanks Insomniac great link

36. bigbazza

A long time ago, I could never get MailWasher Pro to work with AOL, despite them saying it would work with AOL. I purchased the program and even with a lot of assistance from their Help team, could never get it working. They refunded my money. It may have been fixed in later versions. Bazza

===

37. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Just a update for those wondering about BlueFrog and its demise, yes the Blue guy is dead but low and behold you Froggies there is a “Black Frog” clawing his way into the Spam Jungle check out this link http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39271074,00.htm

I can hear the Russian Spammers groaning already

PET PEAVE:- Somebody tries to break into your house/car/bank account they go to jail, Your Computer …………eeeh tough luck. Wild West scenario for the web is long overdue for an overhaul. Spammers are like a gun slinger in a nursery, and the collective “WE” just let them get away with it. :mad: :mad:

38. BCGray

BCGray Guest

39. Viet_Vet

Viet_Vet Private E-2

40. Lance Bombardier

41. BCGray

BCGray Guest

42. bigbazza

43. abri

abri MajorGeek

I rather like the idea of hanging them up by their toenails ... ahhhh, spammers's arms and shirt sleeves blowing in the breeze ...
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds