Blue Ray has stopped working. How to fix??

Discussion in 'Software' started by nktinnj, Jul 3, 2009.

1. nktinnj

nktinnj Private E-2

Hello,

We have a Dell XPS 420 which we bought in January. It is capable of playing Blue Ray DVDs in addition to the "regular" DVDs. We have Windows Vista.

All of a sudden our Blue Ray has stopped playing Blue Ray DVDs. (The "regular" DVDs play fine). It plays the DVD up to a certain point (to the start of Chapter 2) after the FBI warning. A black screen appears with the graphic of a moving disk, then nothing. Only the black screen is there.
    The Blue Ray did download and install a patch update, but we are continuing to experience the same problem.

Sometimes we can exit out of the DVD program, sometimes we have to do an "End Task" from the Task Manager. If we do the "End Task", a very brief message appears saying something about the color scheme for windows changing. It does not stay up long enough to be read.

What can we do to get our DVD to play Blue Ray DVDs again? Thank you for your help. :)

2. nktinnj

nktinnj Private E-2

Resolved Re: Blue Ray has stopped working. How to fix??

Update on my situation:

Our issue was resolved last night after two nights of working with Dell tech support.

Please delete this thread. Thank you.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, threads are not deleted, but I would be interested to know what Dell tech support told you and how the problem was fixed....

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Me too. I know CD burners and DVD burners use different lasers. I was wondering if a regular DVD and a bluray DVD also use different lasers so that one part of a drive might die and the other still operate correctly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds