Blue screen for Christmas

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Not sure if this is a software glitch, but I got a "blue screen" a few weeks ago, referencing additions to my computer, and the computer shut down due to a "serious error." It rebooted itself.
    Only addition has been a printer, and that was added after problem came up.
    Just now it did this again. I did manage to copy some of what message I saw.

"BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : D8000020 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BF80A61B
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_"

Any idea as to what is going on? Computer having a nervous breakdown?
    I've got enough problems with OEx and trying to save email when I transition to Win7 from XP
    Sarge:cry

2. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

If what I found - after removing quote marks from error msg - holds, I have registry problems
    Came across program that checks for those. It found 9 jillion (cubed) which of course they can fix for a fee.
    Is this one of those online fixes for a fee, or take it to a tech fix, also for a fee?

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Blue screen crashes can be investigated as they leave a file behind that, with some difficulty, can usually be used to help trace what caused it. Most frequently the cause is a driver got updated. But before we try that route, have you tried a system restore to the previous day?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Although I don't expect an answer Christmas eve, am posting this Christmas eve.
    System went down again, few minutes ago.
    In addition to info supplied in first part of this post, I was able to get the following also:

C:\DOCUME~1\ROSS\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0b36.dir00\Mini122414-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\ROSS\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0b36.dir00\sysdata.xm

The info from the earlier event was:

"BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : D8000020 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BF80A61B
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_"

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Sarge

have a look in the Event Viewer and system and applications lists and see if you have a Red Error at the time of the BSOD, and what is the error message, or if you get the same again write the BSOD message down verbatim.

Also have a read HERE and use the BlueScreen View application as it will give us a readable error that can locate the faulting app, then paste the error in a notepad document and attach the file.

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Looks to be a process.
    I'll need to set a little time aside to do that. Want to insure I don't muck it up half way through
    Did some research on my own, after figuring out I had to remove the quote marks from the error listings to find articles.
    That brought up a heat problem as a likely source of the problem(s), i.e. fan not working or not properly, a defective capacitor(?) or some such.
    Posting stated HP, among some others, had a history of heat related failings.
    I would bet the proverbial dollar to the donut hole mine will be the most expensive.
    So, for now, back to the family holiday. Computer will just have to wait
    Thanks for the expedited reply, was not expecting one for a bit.
    And to all who hang out here, especially the MG's who have put up with my chronic problems and grumbling over the seeming eons, many thanks. Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, and a hope for a prosperous new year to you all.

Sarge

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The problem with the BC code you are searching for is generic and may not highlight the actual issue, but more link you to duff fixes that cost $$ and those never work.

Really need the BSOD code.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds