Blue screen of death: An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by ferretlady3, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Hi,

I've done a virus check, cleaned out my cookies, temp files, recycle bin and defragged my PC the first time I got the 'Blue Screen of Death". I was told my mom got it again on another day. I didn't write down what it said, but I got it again today. All I did was bootup my machine, open my email, delete the spam and answer 2 emails. I went to do something in another room and when I came back, I had the Blue Screen of Death and this time I wrote down the message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is property installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000FC (0xA9DDDBFC, 0x20866963, 0xA9DDD940, 0x00000000)

I don't know how to "disable the BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing".:confused

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I run my biz from this computer and taking it to a computer repair place will put me behind in my biz affairs. :cry Hopefully this is something I can fix myself? I've even thought of reseating the memory? I can do that and when I first had the PC, I had to do that.

Oh, I am running Windows XP (Dell tower machine Vostro 200) with Intel Core 2 Duo

Dawn

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Dies it boot okay in safe mode?
    I think an FC error has to do with a video driver. In safe mode it would not load the video driver.

3. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Actually, it mostly boots fine in regular mode. Just over the last week I've had the BSOD and I'd like to figure out what the trouble is before it won't boot at all!! I thought I would wait to see what someone here suggests before I do the F8 and try to disable the Bios memory options of caching or shadowing. I don't like to play around in there unless I have instructions of what this will do! I did look up what the BIOS is (yes, I can load my own programs, updates, add memory and even know what's inside the PC, but playing with the OS is another story). So I did learn a little. Just wondering if I should go ahead and do what it says in the BIOS to try to fix the problem or if anyone knows what those error codes are about first.:confused

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

F8 is safe mode and does not get you into the BIOS. You press it when you first boot up the computer.
    To get into the BIOS you usually press a different function key, or esc or delete.

As I mentioned, I think it is video related so it really has nothing to do with caching or shadowing. Sometimes the error recommendations are not related to the real problem so I think what you are thinking about doing will not solve the problem.

5. ferretlady3

ferretlady3 Private E-2

Hmmm... Then I'm wondering if possibly there's something I can do or should I just take it in to a repair place? yesterday, I was doing something and all of a sudden it just shut down, tried to reboot, but there was no screen and it just keep making this "beep, beep", "beep, beep" sound so I took the side cover off and opened it up. I think remember a while back that was a memory prob so I reseated the memory and removed the fan over the processor cooling piece cuz it was FULL of dust and almost all of the cooling holes were plugged. I cleaned it off really well, vacuumed out what I could and put it back together. No that I think of it, another day I went to start it and it wouldn't boot, had the black screen and was making the "beep, beep" sound too. Once I put it back together, no further probs yesterday so we'll see how things go over the next few days. I also noticed the video brd was pretty dusty too so I carefully vacuumed that too. It's really jammed in there and I wasn't sure how to remove it to re-seat it, but if I have further probs, I'll go back in there and take a closer look at how to get it out, clean it better (get a can of that blowing spray) and re-seat it since you mentioned it might be a vid prob.

Thanx and if what I've done so far doesn't solve the prob, I'll check out the vid brd next. If not the brd, then I'll get back to you about what to do w/the video driver. Maybe just re-install the driver?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds