Blue Screen of Death! Audio Problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nodcomandr, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Nodcomandr

Nodcomandr Private E-2

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been getting some wonkiness with my sound. Basically, I restarted one day, and BAM, no sound. Updated the drivers, worked fine. Until I restarted. It didn't work again, so I installed the drivers...again. BAM, worked fine. But everytime I restart, I have to reinstall drivers....strange in itself. I have installed the most current drivers from realtek's website (WDM_A405 filename, or Ac97 drivers, version 4.05).

But just tonight, I've TWICE gotten the blue screen of death! When it comes up, it lists the usual garbage, but also lists a file name "ALCXWDM.SYS" as some sort of culprit with my BSOD error. ALCXWDM.SYS is some sort of file related to my sound drivers. I put two and two together, and think they are somehow related. It seems to happen randomly. Once I was playing a game. The second time I was writing an e-mail and chatting on messenger (no game).

Here's a breakdown of some basic stats for my computer:
    AMD Athlon 3500 Processor (64 bit)
    2 Gigs Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512mb
    Motherboard - Abit AN8 SLI
    Sound card -Generic one that came with the motherboard. It's actually NOT on the motherboard, it's chipset is seperate and can be unplugged from the motherboard (although then I would have no sound!). Uses AC97 Realtek Audio Drivers.
    OS - Windows XP.

Also, attached is a Dxdiag.exe text file(if anyone needs more info on my computer's stuff, it's in here I'm sure).

Please help! I'm usually pretty good with computers, but this one has me flat out stumped! I have a feeling it's SOMETHING to do with drivers for the sound card, but have no clue what the problem might be and how to fix it.

Attached Files:

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds