Blue Screen of Death Error Code Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vainfall, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Vainfall

Vainfall Private E-2

Working on repairing a friend's laptop. It's got no special equipment or mods on it, just a normal laptop his wife uses for some schoolwork.

Runs on Windows XP, it's a Dell Inspiron 6000.

It goes to the windows xp load screen, bar flashes a couple times, goes away, and after half a minute, BSOD pops up.

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000022 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down."

He had a virus that completely wrecked his laptop, but I'm working on saving it for him to get the pictures of all his kids off of it.

My diagnosis to fix the BSOD; I imagine the virus corrupted some of his core system files, and that's why it can't boot.
    I should be able to use Windows XP install disc(assuming it's the same kind as his pc; xp home/business/pro), boot from the CD, and repair the installation of his OS, right? If I do that, will it remove any of the pictures that I'm trying to save for him? I can deal with the virus, viruses/malware aren't a problem for me, my biggest concern is being able to fully boot up his PC and get to his desktop, without erasing any of the pictures of his kids. After I get that taken care of, I can clean the viruses/malware out and save the pictures for him.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You MAY be able to effect a repair, but do you know if the viruses are completely removed. A repair should not destroy the data, but there is no guarantee following an infection.

Can you boot into safe mode? If yes, then you can retrieve the data from there. That would be my first try.

Also, have you gone throught the steps here;
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Then start a thread there for more assistance, if you find anything.

Can, from a command prompt, you run SFC /scannow?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds