Blue Screen of Death issue... driver related?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sidana, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Sidana

Sidana Private E-2

Hi there, thanks in advance for any help.

I'm assuming I have a driver issue. This started a few weeks ago, where suddenly I'll get the blue screen of death and the computer will reboot, and afterwards it tells me that Windows suffered a severe failure (or whatever), and do I want to send the error report to Microsoft. Well, I've done that, and their site seems to suggest it's a driver problem.

My system has an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I've downloaded the EVEREST Home Edition as suggested, so if you need more info, let me know where to find it and you can have it. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3.

The only hardware I can track this to would be a new monitor that's been attached as a secondary monitor. It's an Acer AJ15. I've tried to d/l the newest drivers from their site, but it appears they're only good for Windows Vista, and my computer can't do anything with the downloaded file.

What has me more concerned is that since this started, I can't run a full virus scan on the system anymore.. somewhere during the run the computer reboots itself. I did manage to run it using Safe Mode last week and it didn't find anything, but MalWareBytes found a Trojan yesterday that it removed, but I couldn't run the actual virus scanner to completion.

Any help is appreciated,
    Sidana

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you need to disable automatic reboots, in order to see the actual error code for the BSOD
    1. Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    4. Under System failure, click to clear the Automatically restart check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click OK.
    6. Try to reproduce the error message.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned the BSOD error code will help see whats the issue here, but a few other questions from me are

1. Did you try installing the drivers for the monitor and if so what where the error messages, and do you see a listing for that monitor in Device Manager or Add/Remove?

2. Anthing thing else installed either software wise or even Windows updates at the time of this?

3. Have you run chkdsk? as its possible that if your antivirus is stopping on a file, while it could actually be malware causing this, it could be a conincidence and the malware you found may not be the full cause but its could be a hard drive error and a bad block, so run chkdsk and info HERE

4. Could be malware so if you can run this guide HERE (part of the steps are if you cannot run in normal mode try safe mode) but if more malware is found then start a new thread in our malware forum and attach the logs requested in the guide.

As we have the model of your motherboard, that gives us the link to many of the drivers needed but its always worth attaching the summary of the listing of your PC, and steps below for this

4. Sidana

Sidana Private E-2

Hi there,

I tried installing the driver I downloaded from the Acer website, but my computer couldn't read the file. So it wasn't really an error message, just a message stating it didn't know how to open/read that file type.

I don't recall any other software being installed around that time, though I've had to re-install my printer software, but that was just last week.

I don't think it's malware, at least none of my programs are finding any, and I'm checking regularly with the most recent updates for each program, most of which I have thanks to the Malware section here.

I disabled the automatic reboots and it took a while to get the blue screen again, but here is the error code:

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8056C5CA, 0XB93AEBC8, 0X00000000)

I'm going to run the checkdisk tonight to see if it find anything. The Report file you requested is attached.

Thanks,
    Sidana

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds