Blue Screen of Death w/ error code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InSite, Aug 22, 2012.

1. InSite

InSite Private E-2

Hey guys,

I have received the BSOD twice in the past few days now and I am getting a little concerned. It would go to the screen and then do a "memory dump". It does restart and work properly but I would like to take all precautions since this is my work laptop.

Error Message / Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000044 (0x86BDC420, 0x00001BC0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Thanks guys!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. InSite

InSite Private E-2

Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

And I think you are right, it does tend to do it during the standby / shutdown phase.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

InSite...I think it would help if you download and run BlueScreenView:

http://majorgeeks.com/BlueScreenView_d6200.html

Post a picture of the latest mini dump profile. It should give an indication of where the BS was initiated.

Microsoft has an error reference pdf you can download here. Just search the pdf using the first numbers to find the error:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/E/95EF66AF-9026-4BB0-A41D-A4F81802D92C/[MS-ERREF].pdf

In this case, it says:

0x00000044 ERROR_TOO_MANY_NAMES
    The name limit for the local computer network adapter card was exceeded.

Do you by chance have a USB network adapter? Seems to have been some problems with those causing this with Intel motherboards...

5. InSite

InSite Private E-2

Thank you AtlBo..

So I ran the BlueScreen program you said to use. How would I give you guys a report on it?

Also, are there any programs you guys would recommend to clean up my computer to maybe fix these issues?

Thanks

6. InSite

InSite Private E-2

EDIT: Also, to answer your question. I have a wireless mouse hooked up in my USB port here at work and another screen. I don't know if that helps or not.

7. AtlBo

InSite...if you are a member of an image hosting site like Photobucket, you can upload a screenshot of the report and then link to it here at MG.

Don't think the mouse would account for the problem. Apparently, the error results when two devices make a claim on a part of your motherboard or something like that. Anyway, I think it's a software conflict. I have only seen network related events cause it so far in one tour of Google on the subject.

If you can, just click on the most recent minidump in BlueScreenView. Then PrtScrn to get a screenshot of the report. If I remember correctly it easily fits in a screenshot. Then upload it someplace where you can link to it and drop a link here at MG in a message.

By the way, sounds to me like you had a full memory dump. Those kinds of memory dumps create a large file in Windows called memory.dmp that gets to around 4 GB on my machine. Once you have the problem fixed, you can delete that file and take back that space. If the problem happens again, another dump file will be created anyway, but the large file is reserved for a real expert to look at and analyze in case of a dire situation. Can't say for sure, but I don't think this is a dire one. Anyway, I actually have included the memory.dmp file in CCleaner to be removed on this machine when the cleaner runs in the A.M. I do this as a precaution in case I ever forget to remove it sometime in the future...

If I can get a look at the BSV report, I think I might be able to Google things a little better, since there could be information on the guilty process in the report...

8. InSite

InSite Private E-2

Ok I tried to do everything you said. I do not know where to find my dump files though. See attached.

Attached Files:

9. AtlBo

Insite...OK. The minidump is apparently being triggered by the default USB hub driver in Windows. That means that the problem is most likely related to a device you have hooked up via USB. When you get a chance, list the devices you have hooked up to the PC via USB.

However, this could be more serious. You have had two different kinds of blue screen errors. The ACPI errors are different. If you could, please left click twice on the most recent ACPI error memory dump listing in BlueScreenView. Then take a screenshot of the memory dump file and post it as you did with the last one.

The path of the file you can delete is C:\Windows\Memory.dmp, so it's just a file in the Windows main folder. Before you delete it, right click on it, and see how large it is and post back with the size. Also, since you have two different errors here, you may want to hold off for the short term before you delete it in case you need a tech to take a look. Anyway, on my machine they were usually 4 GB, and I'd like to see how large the file is on yours. I used to get blue screens from a conflict in a TV tuner. I think it mostly didn't like me trying lots of programs which I did for awhile. Still have the tuner, but I haven't had a blue screen in some time...rolleyes

You can Google "delete memory.dmp" to learn more about the file, but once you have your problem resolved, it's a no brainer decision to delete it. Basically, it's just the king size version of the mini-dump file. Honestly, most blue screens are just a software conflict and can be worked through easily with some freeware and a little detective work on google or a question on a message board. You can also, of course, keep memory.dmp until you are sure the problem has been addressed, again, if you would feel more comfortable...

If you can post the picture of the ACPI error, maybe we can get down to business and resolve what's going on...

BTW...the last BS was yesterday. Are you able to use the machine at all or for awhile, etc.?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds