Blue screen of death WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by jpmad4it, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

hey guys

i was writing a DVD+RW and my PC gave me a BSOD.

it seems to work fine after the shutdown - but i just want to know what it means:

DRIVER IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL

STOP 0X000000D1 (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF6E88651)

ALCXWDM.SYS - ADDRESS F6E88651 BASE AT F6E54000, DATESTAMP 4243B802

any ideas? i guess the problem was with the system file named?

rgds J

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

No idea what it means.

Things like this happen from time to time. Probably just a small programming fault in the writing software which caused the BSOD to happen.

If the pc is working fine after reboot you will probably not see this problem again.

Just wondering if you have used the writing software since reboot.

3. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

yeah i used the software - its fine.

although its just happened again ? anyone know what this is caused by?

4. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

i read here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-9654-ALCXWDMsys.html

that its something to do with the sound drivers - funnily enough i updated them the other day. But in the article it says its a problem with MS sound drivers - i never installed these - i merely updated the correct drivers for my MB - realtek AC'97 Audio. should i re-install my old drivers again??

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, everytime you burn to your dvd you get a bsod?

ALCXWDM.SYS <---- relates to your avance sound card.

I reallly don't understand why burning a dvd causes the sound driver to crash, but an updated audio diver may help.

You may need to download newer drivers for your sound:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/pctech/pc-drivers1-1.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

In addition, you say you have xp(home? pro?), do you have sp2 installed and all updates?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  6. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

yeah its related to the onboard sound drivers.
    ive rolled back to the old drivers for now, as the problem has only started to occur since i installed the new drivers about 2 days ago from the gigabyte site (the correct drivers for my MB)

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, excellent! Then ignore my download these drivers section! ;)

Sometimes the old saying is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Same goes with computers. If the current driver is working great, why update it? Same with the bios.

8. jpmad4it

jpmad4it Private E-2

yeah i know - UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - its not always the best way. Learnt the hard way once when i updated the BIOS and it messed my whole PC up - many years ago!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds