blue screen on dell dimension e520 with fresh xp install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by razoric, Feb 20, 2013.

1. razoric

razoric Private E-2

Hi I have a dell dimension e520 and it has slowed down considerably over time. I started to install a fresh version of xp, but during the inspection phase, it just hangs and goes to a blue screen. As the HD hasn't been formatted by then, i am still able to power off and load back into the current version of xp installed on it with no problems.

It is a Pentium D 2.8ghz processor with 1gb ram installed. I undertook a ram test with no problems. I changed up the hard drive for another sata drive i had kicking about, but it does the same thing and hangs at the inspection phase. To be sure, I used the HD drive originally in the machine in the caddy i took the spare from, and it works fine there.:confused

Anyone got any suggestions for what i try next?

Thanks

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , do you try xp cd in another machine ? What is the bsod code ? :wave

3. razoric

razoric Private E-2

Hi falconattack,

The CD works in another machine, i get right up to the disclaimer.

bsod=0x0000007b (0xf78e2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I just tried disabling the on board sound from the bios as i remember having an issue with it many moons ago, but that didn't work either.

This is a hardware failure code right?

Thanks for your help

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. razoric

razoric Private E-2

Excellent find!

Much the same as todd i had "raid on" within the bios, so changed it to "auto detect/ATA" and it's currently formatting in preparation for the new install :)

Not entirely sure what that has achieved, my understanding of raid is limited, perhaps something to do with xp detecting a single drive, but the bios being set up for multiple ones via raid, but what the hay, it's working fine now!

Thanks for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds