Blue screen wanting password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tomm0123, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Tomm0123

Tomm0123 Private E-2

Evening gents.

Loaded up laptop this morning, worked fine. loaded up now, problem. instantly met with a central blue screen asking for a password.

Note, not typical blue screen of death with masses of writing. just a small central blue box asking for a password. upon typing I get blue stars in password box.

on army base and as you may know internet is shit. haven't downloaded anything in 2weeks so doubtful of virus.

Speedy help is appreciated.

Cheers lads

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Sounds like someone set a BIOs password.
    Any of your comrades perhaps playing a trick on you?

3. Tomm0123

Tomm0123 Private E-2

Doubtful any of them have the technological intelligence.
    Any ideas on a bypass/system reset

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What exactly do you see on screen from the moment you power on the laptop? (trying to figure out how instantly we are talking to verify BIOS password or if Windows loads at all).

Laptop BIOS passwords are not easily reset as they are to deter thieves by making the laptop unusable. Which make model laptop?

5. Tomm0123

Tomm0123 Private E-2

Asus A52F.

Press Power Button
    Asus Logo (on for a very short time)
    Black Background, Blue Box In Centre Title'd "Enter Password" in low resolution
    Underneath, a text box. NumPad doesnt work but regular numbers work
    Upon letters/numbers blue stars appear (big and low resolution)
    Upon any other key entry, I.E. Esc, TAB, etc etc. Text Box replaced with "Invalid Password"
    Then Need to restart in order to make a second attempt

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

this sounds like a system password to me. These are set in the BIOS to stop people booting the laptop.

If you can whilst you are booting the laptop, on the very first screen that you see (the ASUS logo) press DEL repeatedly and rapidly to try and enter the BIOS. If you can get in then there should be a security tab in there where you can set/remove the boot password.

7. Tomm0123

Tomm0123 Private E-2

Tried that and nothing. Same with all F keys.

Still brings me the same box. So looks as if im locked out of BIOS :S

Any ideas gents?

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Interesting. Look up your manual online and find out where your BIOS battery is, remove it along with your main battery offline for 10 minutes. This will reset your BIOS. Re-install both. You may need a new BIOS battery, round watch type of looking thing. However, it should still be good as it's a new machine though.

I first thought it might be some malware.

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    I cannot vouch for this software but it claims to remove the BIOS password. It also gives possible master passwords to try which I would try first. It is available as a bootable iso which will need something like Imgburn (freeware) or Nero to create. Boot the the CD and follow the prompts. If this is a hard-drive security password problem, those are the most difficult to resolve.

I would try augiedoggie's suggestion with the CMOS battery first. But, some newer laptops still maintain the password if the battery is removed.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds