Blue Screening and refusal to allow into windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rightfulstone, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Rightfulstone

Rightfulstone Private E-2

A few weeks ago I started to experience video card freezes that would be so severe it required restart of the computer. I bring this up in case it's relevant to anything. The main problem I would say started about 2 weeks ago when I had my first blue screen crash, taking note of this issue I ran all scans that I had on my computer and came up with nothing so continued to use computer normally chalking it up to a hiccup. This problem has now happened nearly every time the computer is in use (when it goes into sleep mode I guess??) I'm usually not at my computer when this happens but come back to see that it's happened. Recently (last 4 days) when restarting computer I have find odd ways to get into windows due to monitor, like, shutting off? It's odd to explain whats happening during boot, I start up the computer get the nifty boot options etc windows logo and loading pops and then mouse, keyboard and monitors all shut off as if they're not connected to anything. When going to recovery options to restore the windows to earlier version this worked once, and then the same day it crashed again, but while trying to select my backup keyboard gets disconnected. I'm honestly not sure where this problem actually fits in. I'm 90% sure that my video card was freezing due to power overheating, but who knows these days with bugs. I know this is rather vague, but I've never quite had this problem before, or heard of it, so not sure how to explain it properly so that it's 100% understood. Also I'm in SafeMode with networking as it seems to be stable enough for me to stay on here so far and I don't have to find creative ways to get back into windows. I used MSCONFIG and turned all non-essential programs off (excluding microsoft) and did a safeboot with networking, where I currently am. I have posted a thread in malware forums if you are interested in any of the many program logs there. Hope we can get this resolved so my computer isn't just a paperweight and I can go back to loving it.

2. Rightfulstone

Sure, I was having problems with what he was asking so I had to switch to normal mode windows to try and accomplish the rest. Would you like me to let you know when it's all done?

3. Rightfulstone

Computer is still freezing after running the last steps and trying to fix you asked me to use. There was no issues found by the command prompt file scan "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I keep forgetting to take a picture of it when it happens. It pretty much looks like somebody puked up pixels all over my screen, if it helps diagnose it, when it happens my music completely freezes (if I'm listening to any). Sometimes I can tab out fast enough and get the screen to, what I think, switch resolutions before the computer freezes. If I can do that by sometimes alt+tab and sometimes Windows key then I can just keep doing whatever I was doing before it started. No clue where to start on the problem as everything I can think of is up to date. I appreciate any wisdom you may provide me in this matter.

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If the hard drive is five years or older I would make sure it passes a hardware test. This could also be software related. Have you tried downloading the latest drivers/software for your graphics card from Safe Mode, uninstalling the graphics drivers in Device Manager, uninstalled the software suite/program if applicable, and rebooting?

What is the make/model/OS and Service Pack? How old is the PC?

5. Rightfulstone

The make and model are.. well I'm not sure. It's a aftermarket PC "Ibuypower" so I don't think they have a make and model other than the brand name. If you want specific specs you would need to tell me where to get them for you etc. I know it can be overclocked and is water cooled, but know very little of what goes into making that happen. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770k CPU @3.5GHz 3.50 GHz
    Installed Memory (Ram) 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
    System Type: 64- bit

The PC is 2 years old almost to the month. This problem is probably 6 months old (around that) I've tried installing drivers but there's nothing new (from what it says) I have uninstalled my drivers (not in safe mode) and re-installed a clean D.L. I'm not sure how to do what you suggested though.

If it helps any it seems to only crash out when I'm putting strain on the system, like games. Even if they aren't intensive games such as an MMO or whatever, it still crashes for the Diablo series of games. I can hear the fans kicking into overdrive when its going to crash. Kind of just listing things I've noticed at this point and hope that something is relevant.

6. Rightfulstone

When you say "uninstall the software suite/program" will you please explain a bit more for me? I'm pretty sure I can do a fresh download into Safe Mode with networking (unless I should download to desktop and then boot Safe Mode) however I'm not sure what it is you're wanting me to do exactly, I'm very sorry if I didn't make that clear in my last post. I appreciate your continued patience.

7. the mekanic

The overclocking can lead to instability, which might be what you are encountering. You may need to dial back how heavily it's clocked, or if it hasn't gotten a good cleaning it may be overheating.

Piriform's Speccy can get us a snapshot of your system, but considering the information in your latest posts the operating temperatures of the system, and the temperatures when the system shuts down would be extremely helpful.

Did the overclocking come with a monitoring program?

Also, any error codes from the BSOD would help. After re-reading your first post, I'm leaning towards the graphics card being the root of the issue.

8. Rightfulstone

Just a quick post here before checking out the software for the "snapshot". I thought it might be the graphics card as well and started using the on-board card but encountered the same problem as before. It didn't matter which graphics card I was using, which stumped me to begin with and left me thinking there might be a chance at CPU, which is kind of what I'm crossing my fingers you guys tell me isn't. From what I glanced at (and I'm not a tech by any means) the clocking is on the low end, I hope that Speccy will help sort this out, I'll have the results posted soon. It's not a blue screen, so BSOD isn't coming up with an error code. My screen just pixels out. I have one picture of it completely red, doesn't quite show you what is a normal problem. but shows you a solid color. I'll try and strain it and see if I can get a more accurate picture of whats going on, it's rather hard to explain. When the problem happens I have to force shut down by either hitting the restart or shutting the power off by the main power input in the back. On restart (ONCE) it failed to load files which lead me to the virus section of the website initially, once that was cleared I was stumped. Either way I'll get the SPECCY for you tonight. Also depending on the results, maybe there is a way to really stress it out and force the problem? Also in the picture you can see two monitors, to rule out this as a problem it was happening before I hooked this monitor up. One is DVI one is AVI. Actually thinking about it one is onboard and the other is graphics card. So, doesn't that rule out graphics card if it's freezing both? Although in the picture the right monitor (onboard) seems normal it is frozen, even the seconds on the call in skype are halted and just a buzzing noise, forcing a shutdown. All visual on the left (main) monitor-video card are usually the ones messed up and pixled out.

9. Rightfulstone

Here is my Speccy information. You had asked about a program that came with the computer to manage the clocking etc. I have a program installed called MSI Afterburner but I'm not sure if I installed it or it came with the computer honestly. I'm not really sure how to tweak the clocking and (Slope I think it was) it's all kind of out of my league with technicalities. So if anything needs to be messed with you'll probably have to point me in the right direction. Although I can pick up on things quickly, I don't know of a lot of this stuff off the top of my head. Good thing it's the age of technology eh? :)

10. Rightfulstone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  11. the mekanic

Do you have Avast and Spybot actively running at the same time? If you do, you need to pick one and having a secondary scanner like MalwareBytes is a good thing. I also see SuperAnti-Spyware. You should only have one active AV program.

I also noticed one fairly big thing. You are using both the integrated and dedicated graphics at the same time. In my experience this is a "no-no" even if the BIOS running your rig is able to do so.

You'll normally end up throttling the card with the integrated graphics. If you're playing an extremely demanding game, this may be the issue. Have you tried running the game which triggers a crash with the card only?

12. Rightfulstone

Yes I was having the same issue with only running on one card, either the on board or the other.

EDIT: you're talking about the "integrated" as on board, and "dedicated" as aftermarket cards? if not maybe I actually don't know what that is.

Edit 2: Yes before I added the monitor I got the crash on the video card itself (aftermarket) and thinking it was the card possibly overheating I switched to the on board. I still got the pixles of doom (since it's not blue screening). Kind of seeing that it didn't matter I didn't think much of using them both together, although it would make sense why I shouldn't when I stop and think about it. It just didn't occur to me after I passed it off.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  13. Rightfulstone

I was unaware that Spybot was running in the backround, I was thinking it was just the tray icon. I will disable this from running. As far as AV programs, Avast has been pretty...unrelenting as far as subscriptions go, so I'll probably drop this. I don't really know whats comparable to how Avast used to be that's not crap. I do have MalwayBytes, the way I usually run the programs is use Avast as an active scanner for internet searches etc. while disabling the others unless I'm using them to actually scan the system for problems. I've been told that super anti-virus picks up on programs that Spybot doesn't.

14. the mekanic

Let's clarify things a bit.

By integrated, we mean the port that is on the motherboard. Often VGA, but possibly HDMI or DVI. By discrete or dedicated we mean the onboard card.

It looks like you only have one 2GB card. According to the Speccy, one monitor is connected to the integrated port, and the other monitor is connected to the graphics card. How many ports are on the card?

Did some more digging, and you should have both those monitors connected via DVI to the card if the specs I read are right.

15. Rightfulstone

I changed it so that both monitors are using the video card ports.

16. Rightfulstone

After changing it, I thought I'd play some D3, still had the freeze happen. This is with both monitors connected to the Video Card.

17. Rightfulstone

Yes I've the latest drivers from nVidia.
    file:///C:/Users/Jeff/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EXa0.957/report.html (not sure if this will come up for you or not, but it's the crash report) I am going to assume it's only showing one since I've had to actually restore the system to get back in on a few occasions.
    After googling what a chipset driver was, do I just look for w/e my motherboard is and go from there as far as getting one? Should I go through my device manager? (even though half the time it says there's no update). Do you want me to replace my GPU install with a clean install (I believe it was mentioned from safemode or something like that). What monitoring app would you suggest? What are safe running temperatures I should be looking for? You say "pare down some of those things running" do you mean the security items? If so I turned all but avast completely off through services. If not, please tell me what you would like me to turn off.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I did not have the current update to my video card when posting this, sorry about that. It is downloading now.

18. Rightfulstone

I believe this is the correct chipset for my motherboard. I couldn't find an update direct either (probably because I had no clue these things existed). Is there another I need to update or check though?

I will check out that utility. I saved the dump file as .txt to help out.

Attached Files:

19. Rightfulstone

Alright I installed another video driver via that auto detecting software. On restart it went through a minor boot sequence in DOS before kicking into windows. Now that we know all things are up to date, is there a program I can use to monitor heat for each device? I mean I have a temperature gauge on the front of my computer, but that does me no good if I don't know the "normal" range of each item. Nor does it tell me which temperature corresponds to which item in the computer. Also, in BIOS I have the option to adjust the "slope"? of the fans, which I can only imagine is the speed RPM, if it IS a problem with heat would this be a solution? I will go and try and get the system to crash (that sounds terrible) I'll keep an eye on the replies and post if I can still get it to crash (along with the report). However in saying crash report it's not BSOD, I think I've gotten a legitiment Blue Screen error code one, maybe three times total owning this computer. There are no error codes when this happens, it just freezes and on boot says computer recovered from unexpected problem, with no solutions. Thanks again windows! :p

20. Rightfulstone

Just got it to crash again, by running...well several high demanding programs. A few things I noticed this time. First off both monitors blacked out (before I was running one on video card one on the on-board, though they both froze they both didn't black out, this time they did. Second, they both pixeled very badly before looking fine again, working normal, and about 10 seconds later complete blackout and freezing which resulted in a force shutdown. This however did not create a dump file, I ran the program and double checked in the dump folder as you just gave me, nothing is there. Here's the reboot. I will get the dump file posted in the other thread. Is there a way for me to show you my bios? I've seen normal computers BIOS settings, mine...well has a lot of things I know 0 about such as slope etc. I just leave it on automatically adjust, but as I'm now believing it is heating also. I thought it was, was just hoping it could be fixed, seeing as I have 5 fans in this stupid box. I caught the front temp gauges (again I don't know which is for what component but will give you what they were when the crash happened and what they are now idle in 2d with no stress). Will start with current, and /what it was when crash occurred. 1. 34.6/37.2, 35.5/38.4, 32.8/38.9 <---- I believe this one is the culprit, 6 degree temp change is probably the video card. Let me know if I can show you my bios settings somehow, I'm sure you would be able to work wonders with the sheer amount of settings you can tweak in it.

Attached Files:

21. Rightfulstone

Need .DMP file read for another thread being worked on

Was instructed to post this .dmp file to be read in hopes it can shed some light on another issue that is being worked on by another tech. I appreciate anybodies time in doing this for us.

Attached Files:

22. Rightfulstone

They are Celsius, I guess I should have said that. I'll check out the program and hopefully have a better output for you by the time you get back. I really need a program that will save even through a freeze to show me what it peaked at. I can take a few pics of my bios that's not a problem, I think one possibility is that the manufacturers didn't tune anything, just put it together, since the over clock is actually almost baseline compared to what it COULD be, that being said we'll have to see. I appreciate your patience.

23. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Need .DMP file read for another thread being worked on

Likely to be hardware (CPU/motherboard, possibly RAM), uninstall Avast (use their uninstall tool (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avast_software_uninstall_utility.html) and install MSE during further testing (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_security_essentials_for_windows.html). A full dump is required for a chance of digging deep enough for a more accurate assessment, even then it might end up as above.

3rd party drivers listed:

iusb3hcs.sys Fri Mar 29 12:37:59 2013 (51558B27)
    Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=iusb3hcs.sys

^^ Disable USB3 in the BIOS, this might disable the drivers from loading, uninstall them as well to ensure they're ruled out during testing.

aswRvrt.sys Thu Nov 6 12:53:22 2014 (545B6F42)
    Avast! Revert driver[br](Likely a boot driver)
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswRvrt.sys

aswVmm.sys Thu Nov 6 12:53:31 2014 (545B6F4B)
    avast! VM Monitor driver
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=aswVmm.sys

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY
    Code:
    [font=lucida console]
    Debug session time: Wed Mar 11 21:28:19.197 2015 (GMT+0)
    Loading Dump File [C:\Users\RoLY\SysnativeBSODApps\031115-15724-01.dmp]
    Built by: 7601.18717.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.150113-1808
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:05.024
    Probably caused by : hardware
    BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007db48f8, 0, 0}
    BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#Example]WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)[/url]
    Bugcheck code 00000124
    Arguments: 
    Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
    Arg2: fffffa8007db48f8, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
    Arg3: 0000000000000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
    Arg4: 0000000000000000, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
    BUGCHECK_STR:  0x124_GenuineIntel
    PROCESS_NAME:  System
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_PRV
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
    [/font]

24. Rightfulstone

Here's a better picture of what actually happens to my screens. The right one is doing it now since we switched to both being connected to the video card.

Attached Files:

25. Rightfulstone

Re: Need .DMP file read for another thread being worked on

I don't have the option (or at least didn't see one when I looked through every option of my bios) to disable the USB3 I did just go to device manager and uninstall one of them there, it caused my system to crash and freak out. Ok well let me not use crash because it didn't BSOD it just froze. Everything I use, USB wise, is plugged into USB3.0's is there another file associated with this that I should be uninstalling? In the device manager there is a few of them. Avast is uninstalled and the other is installed.

EDIT: Nothing came up on the scan.

26. Rightfulstone

I'm not 100% sure on the OC since I'm an extreme novice at it. I know the system is and by default just lumped in the GPU. I'm fairly sure that the other thread isn't going to help since I've had one or two ble screens in the years I've owned this computer. It's not a common occurance by any means. Also the fact that the Usb3.0 is having an issue doesn't relate to our problem. I used another program to watch my video cards activity as I booted up skype and diablo3, it went from 9% usage to 100% before the game even loaded, about 2 minutes after it froze again. I'm going to take out the GPU and use integrated and see if I can get the same issue. If not we know exactly it's the card. No matter how I think about the card being a problem I can't picture it, well bein the problem. I think of the heat possibility and then realize all my programs are saying that's not the case, unless they are all wrong which is doubtful since it's cool (respectively speaking) to the touch. Something is triggering it to use full amount of whatever graphic cards use (I'm a novice I don't know names lol) I think that's our problem.

27. Rightfulstone

So I disconnected the control cords running to the GPU but left it in the motherboard. The result was the fan kicking into extreme overdrive, it sounds like it's about to take off into space. If the heat was a problem then the fan wasn't kicking in like it's capable of doing as I'm seeing it here at least. This sucker is loud, and extremely fast!

28. the mekanic

Agreed.

29. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, revert any OC to defaults (the dump failed to collect BIOS info so I couldn't get the hardware details/speeds etc. for the 'board/CPU, error msg was: sysinfo: could not find necessary interfaces. sysinfo: note that mssmbios.sys must be loaded (XPSP2+).

The idea of removing Avast for MSE was not for the scan, it was to remove the possibility of a 3rd party software running close to hardware/kernel levels interfering. Similar with disabling USB3 in the BIOS - running as clean as possible gives a higher chance of detecting the real problem.

Spybot's TeaTimer and Afterburner have both been known to trigger BSODs (as has Avast and, I think, all other AVs). Again, clean is best when troubleshooting.

Some of the earlier posts made me think of a TDR issue (https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/), the best post I know of for determining/troubleshooting that: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bso...rmation/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds