blue tint on screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hedgekat, Sep 7, 2010.

1. hedgekat

hedgekat Private E-2

I have a brand new, custom built, computer. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks then yesterday during a session the picture suddenly turned blue. Picture was still visible, just looked like a blue filter overlaid on it.

I tested the computer with a second monitor and it did the same thing. First monitor was fine on another computer.

I downloaded the newest graphic driver and installed it. No change.

I am assuming this is a graphics card problem.

Computer specs are:
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

ZOTAC ZT-98GES3G-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Rendition by Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory (total 4 GB)

Any suggestions as to what I can do to test/fix this? I don't have another pci card to test with.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I don't think that mobo has onboard graphics, so that's out - you might try uninstalling the nVidia driver, and let Windows load its own graphics drivers, see if the symptoms change...

Have you done any overclocking?

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Hedge,

I have seen similar things many times caused by not screwing down the Video connector. It sometimes slips part way out of the socket and a color happens to be the first pin to become disconnected. Maybe? Have a look.

Good Luck Jim

4. hedgekat

hedgekat Private E-2

No, no onboard graphics on the mobo. Wish now I'd gotten one that had it. And no overclocking. I'm not even sure what that is.

When the color change happened I was using the graphics driver provided by Windows since the cd that came with the card only had drivers for WinXP and Vista and I have Win7. Downloading the newest driver and installing that made no change.

As for the connectors I have been concerned about that as every time I have connected a monitor to the card I had difficulty in getting the screws to line up and engage properly. Not that they were left untightened. It was just difficult to get them tight. I have tried yet a third monitor with the computer and had the same difficulty. None of the monitors had difficulty engaging with my older computer.

I have also tried removing and reseating the card to make sure the problem was not on that end. No change there either.

Finally I have borrowed a 7300SE from a friend and installed it in the computer. The monitor engaged it easily and color is perfect. So it is definitely the graphic card.

Is there anything to do besides try to return it to Zotac? I purchased it from TigerDirect and it's been over 30 days so I can't send it back there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds