Bluetooth scared the sh* out of me

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarkenRal, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DarkenRal

DarkenRal Private E-2

I have a wi-fi in my apartment, password protected, obviously. Yesterday I was working on my laptop when I saw a message appear in the lower right corner, saying that someone wants to download (upload? I don't remember exactly) a .jpeg file. I clicked on it and there were three options - allow connection this time, allow for [n] minutes, allow permanently. No "don't allow" options. I clicked "cancel" and disconnected my laptop from the Internet.

The question is, wth was that? Is it dangerous? Is my laptop unprotected or something? Maybe my wi-fi was hacked (I don't know whether wi-fi and bluetooth are related)? What should I do to prevent this in the future?

Thank you for your attention.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Your password stops them accessing your laptop, but wi-fi can be used/abused by someone , so basically just say no!
    I am not that well up on wi-fi security, but all I do know is that bluetooth will ask if you want to connect- so, if you don't know where it is coming from- just say no.Your password is really about the only security for bluetooth. Just like on the web, virus attacks often need you to say yes, at some point to get access (although not always)
    Someone else may be able to give you more information.

3. DarkenRal

DarkenRal Private E-2

Is bluetooth and wi-fi even the same security-wise? I'm a total noob at this, maybe bluetooth needs to be passworded separately?

And there wasn't any "no", there was only cancel and that's what I pressed. I hope it's the same.

The thing that scared me was that there was a specific file name. I'm not sure whether it was a request for download or upload, but if it's the first, then I assume that guy browsed through my folders.

Thanks for the answer!

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You should password bluetooth if you get the option.
    Usually with my bluetooth, it will ask if you want to connect to my phone, or another laptop, and I only do so if I need to. Any bluetooth device can ask to connec, and you just say NO.
    No oe should be able to get into your laptop through bluetooth, unless you accept a connection.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It may help to read this wiki category titled "Bluetooth vs. Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11)" as it describes the different intended uses for Bluetooth and Wi Fi.

Without knowing your computer's manufacturer, I would guess that it is unlikely that your machine has centralized security settings for both your Bluetooth and Wi Fi interfaces. It is ~likely~ that they will need to be secured separately. I would consult your manufacturer's documentation for your computer, and documentation for any Bluetooth and WiFi support software installed on your computer.

6. DarkenRal

DarkenRal Private E-2

I still wasn't able to find any password protection for bluetooth, but I don't really need it (the bluetooth itself, not the password) so I found a way to turn it off. I wasn't really aware of its existence until yesterday. I mean, I knew it's there when I bought the laptop, but I just forgot about it, since I never used it.

I found the control panel for my bluetooth and ffs... It allowed any bluetooth device to browse through my files by default. Shit, I'm glad I didn't do any financial stuff on that laptop.

I also think it's an act of this, since I wasn't able to find the .jpeg with that name on my computer. I suppose he intended to upload it.

Anyway, thanks guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds