book to searchable PDF?

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Mar 18, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I have a lot of rules from the HOA where I live. I want to be able to scan all these rules into my computer and then search for keywords of what I scanned,
    How do I accomplish this task??

2. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

was there an answer to this?
    isnt that what a scanner is for?
    so I can just scan pages of text and then search it? I only get images, what am I doing wrong?
    thanks

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You need to use an OCR program like Abbyy Finereader pro to scan the document into a searchable PDF file.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Don't you have scanning software that came with your scanner or AIO? Doesn't it give you options for scanning output format (Image, OCR, file, etc.)?

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

the problem is, the pdf isnt all quite there
    it is a copy of a scanned document that was scanned poorly and made into the PDF format
    so I only have access to the PDF format
    so how do I get this back into a format I can use a word search with?
    thanks

I do have the hard copy made from the pdf file, but since it wasnt all there, I'm not sure how to get it all there

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader have word search capability. Have you tried that? Surely, that will work for whatever text is displayed in the PDF document.

7. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

ocr

I was told by a Kinkos guy that he could scan the hard copy and use OCR software to turnmy files, which are acrobat reader, not PDF, into a Word file

I can't get the word search on the document to find anything and the document I have isnt all there, it was scanned poorly and I need to put it into a word file so I can fix the half-faded words and read it properly

8. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

use google docs and convert PDF into text

How do I thank myself?
    :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds