Boosting Wifi Speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serasha, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Serasha

Serasha Private E-2

I just moved into a big 4-bdrm house with some roommates, and the landlord wont let me string my cat5 across the house, so instead I was forced (against my will) to go out and purchase a wireless ethernet card for my desktop PC. The wireless router is in the living room, which is down the hall and slightly around the corner from my bedroom. There are approximately 4 walls and a microwave, and a bathroom between my wireless card and the router. I can connect to web pages on occasion and at a very slow rate, but I cannot for the life of me get a stable enough wifi flow to log into WoW. :( Please help me!!! I *need* my WoW!!! :)

Thanks in advance,
    Stephanie

2. Unexperiencedn00b

Unexperiencedn00b Private First Class

Try talking to your roomates about getting some space rugs, and run the CAT 5 under the space rugs, behind your landlords back ;) He probably wont notice it. Also

Try positioning your Router, and your PC in locations that minimize the interference of walls/microwaves/ etc...

P.S. Serasha....I thought you said your lanlord was moving out anyway?

3. Serasha

Serasha Private E-2

He is supposed to be moving out, but the problem is that there are a total of three cats, and two dogs at the house, and I'm worried also that they might find a way of chewing through my cat5, like they did my speaker wire for my surround system aeons ago.

4. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

There are aftermarket antennas for wireless cards that can give you a stronger signal each way. You can even convert some to "pringles can" antennas for even more range. For a desktop, this might be quite practical (a directional antenna there), which would not requre changes at the router or interfere with the other users. see www.freeantennas.com for some easy cheap designs.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds