Boot option menu, Laptop Restart?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mentalist, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Mentalist

Mentalist Private E-2

Hi there,

Im back with another damn laptop issue :cry:p

Description

Manufacturer - Philips
    Model - Freevents

The Problem

One of my close family brought this laptop from her friend (who for the record is a muppet with laptops and anything electronical).

Now today i got my first look at this laptop, the problem seems to be when it boots up and gets to the Select a boot mode, Safe mode etc, when i choose say safe mode with command prompt or start windows normally, it gets to the end of the windows loading screen then restarts, i cant seem to get the partition menu (if anyone can give me the F key that would be a great help!:-D)

It is on Windows Media center

It is fully updated etc, as far as i know it hasnt been troj, mal, vir, spy, or anything of that form in it, now on the power light area there is an orange one im just wondering wether that may be the problem? something to do with the battery or a hardware death or malfunction?

It is the exact same it was when bought no add ons to it or anything.

Anyone with any idea please leave a post and it would be greatly appreciated :)

Mentalist
    Laptop hater :p

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you wouldn't happen to have the restore cd or another windows disc?

3. Mentalist

Mentalist Private E-2

Thanks very much for the reply

Unfortunately i dont, i would say they're still down at her friends home which is 400 odd miles away, bit sucky, i have xp sp 2 disks just need to find a way to get the partition so i can jus delete the bugger

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you can probably use your xp disc to get to the recovery console, and run the chkdsk /p command
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058 - option 2

sounds to me that the malware may have messed with some critical windows files, and you may have to just reinstall windows on it anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds