boot order

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Mar 1, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

In searching for something else I incidentally noticed my boot order seems to be incorrect.
    I have not changed it to my knowledge but it says:

1-hard drive
    2-dvd/cd
    3-usb
    4-usb......

Shouldn't the dvd be first so you can boot from it in case you use a disc and the hard drive be second so if there is no disc it would just skip to the hard drive?
    I have the older BIOS not UEFI.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings peterr.

Generally it's best to leave the hard drive as #1. You're correct about BIOS skipping the optical drive if no media is present, but if a bootable disk of any type is inadvertantly left in the optical drive you might open a wide array of accidental problems (the same applies to USB devices). Change the boot order if needed, but for the most part the BIOS should be left as default.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I am pleased to report that I am replying from my Win 10 TP on Oracle's VM Thank you for explaining the boot order.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds